• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding... where to start???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding... where to start???

I’m a bored support monkey who is fed up with the dwindling rates and centralisation of this sector, it used to be fun but I’m little more than an admin boy these days so…

From a complete novice perspective where would be a good place to start learning to ‘code’? VB? My only experience is a little BASIC on a BBC B about 25 years ago and some fiddling with HTML.

I don’t expect to pick it up in a few months and start making a living from it but I have about 27 years of working life in front of me and I don’t plan on listening to people’s problems for most of it!
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

If your background is support, then I would have thought a scripting language (VBScript, Perl, who knows) would be the best fit with your current skills.

Maybe VBA (scripting office applications) too.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      I’m a bored support monkey who is fed up with the dwindling rates and centralisation of this sector, it used to be fun but I’m little more than an admin boy these days so…

From a complete novice perspective where would be a good place to start learning to ‘code’? VB? My only experience is a little BASIC on a BBC B about 25 years ago and some fiddling with HTML.

I don’t expect to pick it up in a few months and start making a living from it but I have about 27 years of working life in front of me and I don’t plan on listening to people’s problems for most of it!
      Any idea on whether you'd be looking to do web or application/systems development, or just a bit of scripting as DP suggests?
      Last edited by voodooflux; 27 January 2009, 14:53.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Try Ruby on Rails.

It's fun. And trendy. And a growing market.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
          Any idea on whether you'd be looking to do web or application/systems development?
          I'm guessing web as more and more companies seem to be favouring web based solutions these days, but to be honest I have no idea?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Coding? Where to start?

With a "requirements document" would be a good start...

Churchill - In "Ducks and runs like fck" mode!

Comment

Xml?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I'm guessing web as more and more companies seem to be favouring web based solutions these days, but to be honest I have no idea?
                I'd say have a dabble with PHP (and by implication HTML/CSS) to get yourself started, then perhaps integrate some pages with a database backend to get a feel for SQL.
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by t0bytoo View Post
                  Try Ruby on Rails.

It's fun. And trendy. And a growing market.
                  Agreed and PHP is also very popular. Drupal would be good to know for content management and e-commerce web sites.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

If you are going to learn VB then please learn C++ first.

Comment

Working...
                    X