• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

home server setup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

home server setup

Right I needs some advice...I've just bought myself an el cheapo HP ML115 server and a couple of 500gb disks (already have some extra RAM).

http://www.thehut.com/hut/10008117.product

I can decide what O/S to put on it....I have a couple of other laptops which we use for day-to-day browsing and I will be using this machine for shared storage, printing and maybe the odd bit of general Office, email stuff.

At the moment I'm swaying towards the desktop version of Ubuntu (mainly because it's free) but i'm open to suggestions.

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
    Right I needs some advice...I've just bought myself an el cheapo HP ML115 server and a couple of 500gb disks (already have some extra RAM).

I can decide what O/S to put on it....I have a couple of other laptops which we use for day-to-day browsing and I will be using this machine for shared storage, printing and maybe the odd bit of general Office, email stuff.

At the moment I'm swaying towards the desktop version of Ubuntu (mainly because it's free) but i'm open to suggestions.
    Go with Ubuntu - can't go wrong really.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Put linux on the server and make it into a web content / virus filtering proxy and email server (e.g. Squirrelmail) and enable a webmail frontend so that you can view your emails locally. Most Linux Distro's should handle it. Ubuntu as a desktop... can't comment... haven't used it yet.

HTH.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Good choice of server, i've got one of those. Cheap but speedy and very well built.

I'm running Windows Home Server on it. Would i recommend it - No. Few weeks ago the answer would be yes but i'm looking for another solution myself now.

(and am partly wanting to wipe WHS off it so i can play with Windows 7 too).

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          Good choice of server, i've got one of those. Cheap but speedy and very well built.

I'm running Windows Home Server on it. Would i recommend it - No. Few weeks ago the answer would be yes but i'm looking for another solution myself now.

Just downloading the beta for windows 7 now. Will probably run as a VM in Ubuntu and have a play.

Comment

Why the desktop Ubuntu instead of the server version?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post

Why the change of mind?
              I am currently considering building a windows home server....
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Why the desktop Ubuntu instead of the server version?
                Ubuntu server is command line only so rules out using it as a 'standard' workstation as well. I should be able to install a lot of the useful server add-on's in the Desktop version anyway..i.e Samba.

I'm going to set it up with Raid1 and copy over my itunes librbary etc as you can setup other machines to use an itunes library located on a network drive.

Comment

Ubuntu server is command line only so rules out using it as a 'standard' workstation as well. I should be able to install a lot of the useful server add-on's in the Desktop version anyway..i.e Samba.

I'm going to set it up with Raid1 and copy over my itunes librbary etc as you can setup other machines to use an itunes library located on a network drive.
                  Easily changed with an 'apt-get install kde' or 'apt-get install gnome' depending on your flavour of choice. I personally would go for a debian server, more stable than Ubuntu as they don't grab all the latest bells and whistles until they have been beta tested by the other distro's (like ubuntu)

Comment

CentOS 5.2 is also very stable and comes with a decent GUI - GNOME I think.
                    The latest Ubuntu - 8.10 has been panned by reviews - go with 8.04 LTS or try the new Fedora.

Another option is FreeBSD which IMHO is lighter and faster than Linux. and has far better docs. You won't find the need to constantly search forums and websites for answers to simple questions.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X