• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which web authoring tool?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    I have been using Netbeans 6.5 recently which is quite good IMHO. It's free so deffo worth a look.
    Not exactly a 'web authoring tool' is it?
    Joe Bloggs (voiced by Johnny Vegas) : I'd like to make a website. I'm not an expert but I need to make it quickly and not look like a pile of shyte
    Ok Web Wizzards, do you recommend....

a) MS Frontpage

b) Dreamweaver

c) Hand coding with a few hints and tips

d) Netbeans 6.5
    Joe: I like the sound of Netbeans!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Another for NetBeans here. Also Notepad++ which is a good lightweight editor

Frontpage??? F--k me is that still alive?

Comment

Originally posted by ghl View Post
        Another for NetBeans here. Also Notepad++ which is a good lightweight editor
        Notepad++ is a great free text editor.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Not exactly a 'web authoring tool' is it?
          Netbeans 6.5 supports (among other things) the following:

HTML
          XHTML
          XML
          PHP
          Javascript
          CSS

It does code formatting, highlights code errors and offers code completion in all the above so I would say that in it's current version it is quite usable as a 'web authoring tool'. Older versions were not, but IMHO 6.5 has come on quite a long way.

What it does not provide you with is a WYSIWYG interface, but that's not a bad thing IMHO as most people who really want to code websites don't use them (again IMHO).

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            What it does not provide you with is a WYSIWYG interface, but that's not a bad thing IMHO as most people who really want to code websites don't use them (again IMHO).
            WHS. There's actually very little point to having a WYSIWYG interface, as either:
            • It's a proprietary thing that ends up rendering something in a way totally unlike any real browser;
            • Or, it embeds some browser's rendering engine (Trident, Gecko or whatever), but that's useless because you then don't realise that your design looks different in another rendering engine.

As you have to check everything in multiple browsers anyway, the WYSIWYG view ends up being more of a hindrance than anything else. It deludes you into thinking things work when they don't.

Comment

I'm simply amazed at the number of hand-coders!

I expected an overwhelming vote for DreamWeaver.

Perhaps I'll stick with what I've got, plus "vi" for perl and PHP

Thanks all for the replies and insight

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Perhaps I'll stick with what I've got, plus "vi" for perl and PHP

Thanks all for the replies and insight
                If you like vi, have a look at Vim. It includes colour syntax highlighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I think it's to do with a greater appreciation of the fact that HTML is intended to represent the semantics of a document (a primary heading should be an <h1>, a subheading at the level below that should be an <h2>, the quotation of a passage should be a <blockquote>, a list where there is no inherent ordering to the elements should be <ul> as opposed to <ol> where order is important, and so forth), while styling is applied via CSS.

Indeed, the italicisation of the word "semantics" up there ought to be represented by <em> - read the sentence aloud in the way that I intend it to be read, and you'll realise that it's about emphasising the word. Italicising a word that would be emphasised when spoken is a typographical convention that is purely presentational; the use of <em> has semantic value, as it describes the level of significance of that word in the context of that sentence, rather than simply saying how I want it to be displayed.

This isn't just about abstract notions of the semantic purity of markup. Such usage can be of enormous value to those who rely on assistive technologies, such as partially- or un-sighted people using screen reading software. If you've ever listened to a screen-reader like Jaws (which is the most widely used) grinding its way through an old-school page:

Code:
                  table four rows three columns
                  row
                  spacer.gif spacer.gif spacer.gif
                  row
                  spacer.gif Welcome to ThingCorp spacer.gif
                  row
                  spacer.gif
                  table seven rows eight columns
                  row
                  spacer.gif...
                  then you'll rapidly come to appreciate the value of semantically-structured HTML:

Code:
                  heading
                  Welcome to ThingCorp
                  (Read both of those aloud in a robot voice to get the full effect. Remember, spacer.gif is pronounced "spacer dot gif".)

Originally posted by lightng View Post
                  If you like vi, have a look at Vim. It includes colour syntax highlighting.
                  Xeno ought to be along shortly to award some geek points for that post
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 24 January 2009, 05:45.

Comment

PSPad is the best programmers text editor.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                      PSPad is the best programmers text editor.
                      Oh. Is it? Ok then.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X