• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

anitvirus and Banker trojan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anitvirus and Banker trojan

Ran Panda Software free online antivirus on PC (looking for Downadup virus, which I didn't find). By chance I had a USB stick in in, and it found Banker.SW in a program cdvd.exe. I had downloaded that at some time, I think, to play DVDs.

Curious that I had missed it before, when I use AVG and Avast!, I downloaded both of those onto this PC: neither found it (although AVG found an adware in it, and deleted the file because of that).

So I ask: does anyone have experience of a Banker trojan? And (Yet Again I suppose) comments on AV programs?

This little bugger apparently sends back banking logins, and since I do a lot of online banking, I am concerned.

Troj/Banker-SW is a Trojan for the Windows platform which attempts to capture confidential information related to Internet Banking, such as usernames and logon passwords.
    Troj/Banker-SW includes functionality to send notification messages to remote locations.
    When first run Troj/Banker-SW copies itself to:
    <Windows startup folder>\system32.exe
    <Windows system folder>\system32.exe
    and creates the file <Windows system folder>\Netaps.txt.
    The following registry entry is created to run system32.exe on startup:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    system32
    <Windows system folder>\system32.exe
    I would check the locations listed above and if you have the relevant files there then worry about it.

I know Sophos AV gets rid of it, but then you would have to pay for that

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
      I would check the locations listed above and if you have the relevant files there then worry about it.

I know Sophos AV gets rid of it, but then you would have to pay for that
      Yeah, that's exactly what I found. Didn't find them on work PC but I would't have run the contaminated program there, so I have to wait till I get home.

Equally, you would think that the AV that finds the contamination would also find the installed Trojan itself, if present. No?

But I am somewhat shocked that AVG and Avast! found nothing

Comment

Depends, if the contamination is already installed it won't pick it up until the next full system scan. I would suggest having your AV scan your machine daily at some silly time in the morning to be sure.

My machine is set to do a full virus scan at 4am, and then defrag at 5am every day. Keeps it nice and snappy

Comment

Looks like a re-install for you, got your XP CD?

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
            Looks like a re-install for you, got your XP CD?
            Yes. Looks like it, just to be sure.

On the old laptop that is: main laptop is a Mac now anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
              Depends, if the contamination is already installed it won't pick it up until the next full system scan. I would suggest having your AV scan your machine daily at some silly time in the morning to be sure.

My machine is set to do a full virus scan at 4am, and then defrag at 5am every day. Keeps it nice and snappy
              Good in theory. Add circumstances and it won't work:
              1. Weekend: partner is rabid about not leaving anything switched on unnecessarily. I just accept that.
              2. Week: I couldn't sleep with a disk thrashing in the hotel room.

I would bring back hanging for virus writers

Comment

Working...
              X