• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPhone Jailbreak

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhone Jailbreak

OK, time has come to look into this.

Has anyone done this and if so how easy was it to do. I'll be doing it on a PC not MAC. Also what happens when a new firmware update is released from Apple, what steps do you need to take when doing the update or do you wait for the Dev team to release the new Jailbreak???

Thanks

I used ziphone without any issues (http://www.ziphone.org/).

Don't accept any updates withing itunes, as this will break it again.

Comment

Thanks

If I do update the firmware in iTunes is it just a case of waiting for the new jailbreak and then re-applying?

I assume I can just connect the phone to iTunes and do a reset if I do get any issues as its only a firmware hack?

Comment

I think I've found my answer on Google.

It is a case of waiting for a new break to be developed. Suppose the best thing to do is wait for the break then upgrade the firmware and re-apply the break.

That's my evening sorted.

Comment

That was easy. took about 15 minutes to do (after finding the correct firmware file)

Turns the phone into an even better tool. Come on Apple half of this should be on the standard phone

Comment

Should be and probably will be in the future. People forget that the firmware version is still only 2.2

It will improve!

Comment

what does jailbraking the phone do?? what am i missing?
              I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

It by-passes Apples built in security during booting to enable 3rd party apps to run etc

for example

Backgrounder - lets you run apps in the background, doesn't log you out of the app when the app closes

IntelliScreen - Allow you to scroll through emails, sms messages, calendar entries etc on the lock screen

There's also apps that allow forwarding of sms messages, sending & receiving mms messages, Cut & Paste to name a few.

Worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
                  It by-passes Apples built in security during booting to enable 3rd party apps to run etc

for example

Backgrounder - lets you run apps in the background, doesn't log you out of the app when the app closes

IntelliScreen - Allow you to scroll through emails, sms messages, calendar entries etc on the lock screen

There's also apps that allow forwarding of sms messages, sending & receiving mms messages, Cut & Paste to name a few.

Worth looking into.
                  IntelliScreen is the app that makes me feel like jailbreaking but I'm going to wait and see what the next few updates offer. Doesn't the backgrounder mean you have to hard reset more often to clear the memory?

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                    IntelliScreen is the app that makes me feel like jailbreaking but I'm going to wait and see what the next few updates offer. Doesn't the backgrounder mean you have to hard reset more often to clear the memory?

Haven't noticed that to be honest. You open the app you want running and hold the home key down till the enabled message appears. To turn the app off, do the same again.

IntelliScreen is one of those apps that once tried you wonder how you did without. Don't even mind the $9.99 license fee once the 10 day trial is up.

Comment

Working...
                    X