• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Path Name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Path Name

I have a bit of code which specified the path for a file to save to. Unfortunately the path is 166 characters long. The filename is a nifty little 74 characters long. Meaining that the path and filename combined is 240 characters long. Apparantly in Excel there is a limit in VBA of 218 characters for a path and file name string.

Anybody know a quick way around it.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

"Create a shortcut to the file and save to that."

is a method that doesn't work
    Last edited by PerlOfWisdom; 27 September 2005, 15:29.

Comment

You could save it to a short filename and then have vba run a batch file to rename it.

Comment

"You could save it to a short filename and then have vba run a batch file to rename it."

That is kind of what I am going to do. Except I'm going to name it - part of the name is a date stamp and save it in a sub dir with a short name. Then run a batch file to move it to its final location. Still a pain in the @rse though.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

How about using the old 8.3

path c:\progra~1 etc

It still works on XP etc
          Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
            How about using the old 8.3

path c:\progra~1 etc

It still works on XP etc
            Either that, or just map a drive to where you want to save it to - that should shorten your path to about, erm, three characters...
            The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Working...
            X