• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Troubleshoot intermittently crashing web app

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshoot intermittently crashing web app

Got reports of a web app going down twice in three weeks. Need to do some root cause analysis. works fine after a reboot.

Nothing interesting in event viewer. IIS logs just show lots of succesful GET operations. Nothing interesting in SQL logs on the remot sql server it connects to.

Anyone got any good advice?

sounds like a memory leak to me!

Comment

What's the language web app was written in, .NET or something else?

Comment

A large part is .NET.

Anyway I can see if it was a memory leak from any logs anywhere?

Comment

What is the version of .NET framework installed?

Check in Events Monitor in Application part of it .NET runtime messages - do you see something like this: ".NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.1433 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (000006427FAFDA07) (800703e9)"?

Do you have memory used up pretty well? Recently .NET patch appears to have introduced issue in .NET that causes it to kill app dead if .NET can't allocate some memory that is damn expects to be available. I get this happening on my server where I switched off swap file.

You might need to include some logging into your app - otherwise very hard to debug, even if it will include saving regularly time, at least it woud allow you to pin point when it failed and check out logs, maybe some particular GET requests are killing it.

Comment

Working...
          X