• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Digital Certificates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Certificates

A simple question which, maybe, just maybe, someone will be able to answer. If they can then the (virtual) drinks are one me, as I've spent more than enough evenings on Google/MSDN and still haven't found a solution.

Does anyone know how I can change the location of the personal certificate store in Windows to be on a removable device, or backup/restore a 'non-exportable' cert between rebuilds?

I have a bank account which I can access online using a digital certificate provided by my bank. Unfortunately the whole process of getting the cert, confirming identity, waiting period...blah, blah, blah, takes a while, and of course when I install the cert from the url I eventually get sent it's marked as 'non-exportable', so I can't move it, can't access the bank using a work PC, and of course if I rebuild/change my PC then I have to go through the whole process again, meaning no account access for a week or more.

looks like you're a bit buggered then!!

Bear in mind that if you are eventually able to store your cert (and the associated keys) on a USB stick, that stick becomes very, very important to you in respect to your digital identity to the bank!!! Just a thought.

Have you seen this, it might point you in a direction you want to go...

http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/...5-01/0219.html

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
      looks like you're a bit buggered then!!
      It does seem that way.

Even if I write my own bit of code to access the cert store (one of the suggestions mentioned via your link) I have my doubts it will allow me to export it as the CAPI has specific error types for actions which attempt to export non-exportable certs/keys.

The only other possibility I can see is if I had a USB PKI token plugged in at the time I download the cert, whether it would then allow me to choose the cert store on the device, as it does ask which store you want to put it in...

Comment

Working...
      X