• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Securing home PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing home PC

Hi all,

I should, being a techie, know better, but at the moment I don't have my home pc drives encrypted, and should the PC be nicked there would be a lot of interesting stuff for any would be identity thief.

What do you all use to secure your home drives? Does it give you much aggravation opening/locking all the time? Is it integrated with you windows login?

Ta.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223316/

Hopefully this helps.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Nice one ta
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Hi all,

I should, being a techie, know better, but at the moment I don't have my home pc drives encrypted, and should the PC be nicked there would be a lot of interesting stuff for any would be identity thief.

What do you all use to secure your home drives? Does it give you much aggravation opening/locking all the time? Is it integrated with you windows login?

Ta.
        TrueCrypt

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          Hi all,

Ta.
          Don't use the swirly face thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
            WHS - big fan of TrueCrypt for securing external drives and USB keys.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              WHS - big fan of TrueCrypt for securing external drives and USB keys.
              Is it directory based or drive based?

By that I have left a readme.txt on my USB drive that i hope someone would notice if it was lost and would not want to encrypt that. Also can the client run off the USB without install to the PC?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Is it directory based or drive based?

By that I have left a readme.txt on my USB drive that i hope someone would notice if it was lost and would not want to encrypt that. Also can the client run off the USB without install to the PC?
                You can either encrypt a entire volume or partition, or create a virtual file-based encrypted disk which you can then mount.

With regard to encrypting a USB stick, the following is from the FAQ:

Q: How can I use TrueCrypt on a USB flash drive?

A: You have two options:

Encrypt the entire USB flash drive. However, you will not be able run TrueCrypt from the USB flash drive.
                Note: Windows does not support multiple partitions on USB flash drives.

Create a TrueCrypt file container on the USB flash drive (for information on how to do so, see the chapter Beginner's Tutorial, in the TrueCrypt User Guide). If you leave enough space on the USB flash drive (choose an appropriate size for the TrueCrypt container), you will also be able to store TrueCrypt on the USB flash drive (along with the container – not in the container) and you will be able to run TrueCrypt from the USB flash drive (see also the chapter Traveler Mode in the TrueCrypt User Guide).
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                  WHS+

VDF is quite correct, you can either encrypt the whole disk or put "file" on the disk which is infact an encrypted TrueCrypt volume. I use it this way, and also have the "Reward If Found.txt" file on the root.

Its fairly unintrusive - you do have to enter the volumes password on boot up though!

Comment

Cheers, I will give TrueCrypt a we run around tomorrow, on client time obviously.

Comment

Working...
                    X