• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

bit torrent risks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bit torrent risks

Ahem, if I hypothetically had a friend (I know but just suppose) who needed to download Appleworks (there is no quick legal way to get hold of it) from a bit torrent source what is the worst that could happen (setting aside Apple gettting bent out of shape about a piece of software they don't sell or support any longer). No-one much bothers to write viruses and trojans for Mac do they? I......er I mean my friend would be installing on OS X - not sure which one till I, er I mean he, gets there.

You already know the possibilities, but here they are anyway:

1. Nothing bad will happen.
    2. Plod will do a dawn raid, arrest you, confiscate your PC, find Glitter-ish stuff on your HDD you never knew was there, bang you up, then you get bummed to death in the shower.
    3. Something else.

Comment

My friend's not too worried about a visit from PC plod, but he might be bothered about an outbreak of virus type nastiness on his/her mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        My friend's not too worried about a visit from PC plod, but he might be bothered about an outbreak of virus type nastiness on his/her mac.
        Does your friend have an up-to-date virus scanner?
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
          Does your friend have an up-to-date virus scanner?
          No - the torrent client's on a linux box and the destination of the file is a mac.

Comment

No - the torrent client's on a linux box and the destination of the file is a mac.
            Is the torrent well seeded (i.e. popular) at the moment? A friend of mine tells me that he takes a look at the comments for the torrent on whichever index site he's using - they usually give a good indication of the reliability. He says.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              Is the torrent well seeded (i.e. popular) at the moment? A friend of mine tells me that he takes a look at the comments for the torrent on whichever index site he's using - they usually give a good indication of the reliability. He says.
              Unfortunately not - it seems to be about the least popular thing around at present - or so he says - so he hasn't been able to find any comments (only 2 seeds). I guess it's like what Branson said when he started Virgin Atlantic with one plane "we'll either have the best or worst safety record"

Thanks (from my friend) for the tip by the way, he hadn't thought of that.

Comment

Unfortunately not - it seems to be about the least popular thing around at present - or so he says - so he hasn't been able to find any comments (only 2 seeds). I guess it's like what Branson said when he started Virgin Atlantic with one plane "we'll either have the best or worst safety record"

Thanks (from my friend) for the tip by the way, he hadn't thought of that.
                That's OK - I'll pass your friends thanks on to my friend.

Comment

A friend of mine who was also concerned about the risk of infecting his machines decided that a standalone cheapo downloader machine was the best way to acquire these types of files.

It seems he could check the files before they made their way to the main computer.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                    A friend of mine who was also concerned about the risk of infecting his machines decided that a standalone cheapo downloader machine was the best way to acquire these types of files.

It seems he could check the files before they made their way to the main computer.
                    My friend says your friend is very sensible, and also suggests downloading within a Virtual PC/VMWare session.

Comment

Working...
                    X