• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Critique required: Web page review / suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique required: Web page review / suggestions

I am benched!

So time for a few home grown projects. One of which is to provide accurate weather forecasts for all the football team grounds in the English Football League. I have access to an XML feed directly off the GFS(Global Forecasting Model) that allows me to display the weather forecast out to seven days for each and every post code in the UK. I will just use the postcode for the grounds in the form of simple dynamic dropdown list – perhaps a cookie to then save your preferred team? To display the forecast out to 7 Days.

I have a “proof” of concept page here ...
    http://www.stormtrack.co.uk/Pages/Weather-Forecast.aspx

Am I on a hiding to nothing with this footballweather concept??
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Originally posted by wxman View Post

Will it do anything that the BBC doesn't already do?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Good Lord!

The BBC weather forecasts are not accurate at best!

I am using GFS data direct from the GFS model - it is the MOST accurate weather forecasting tool that we have for the 7 day period over the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post

Depends what you think it's for - I don't know much about football (or footie fans) - or were you fixing to sell to the clubs?

On an unrelated note - that weather data is fab and since I live less than 10 miles away, it's great info, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Depends what you think it's for - I don't know much about football (or footie fans) - or were you fixing to sell to the clubs?

On an unrelated note - that weather data is fab and since I live less than 10 miles away, it's great info, thanks

give me your location and I will add a forecast location over you

I just need the Village / Town name

Comment

give me your location and I will add a forecast location over you

I just need the Village / Town name
            Millisle - BT22 2HS
            SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Ah I dont have access to the N.I. data set yet - sorry

Comment

Ah I dont have access to the N.I. data set yet - sorry
                Not to worry. It isn't like we have any decent football teams anyway.
                SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Selling to football clubs is very difficult, and they almost always want whatever you've got for nothing, based on "you'll get sales if we say we use your service/software" etc.

I tried this a few years ago with a portable in-game player performance application. No joy.

Good luck though.

Comment

Eh, if its supposed to be for footie fans, they only want to know the forecast (if at all) at the ground 1 to 2 hours before and after kick off, max. So, you dont need timeshots for 1.00am in the morning or the like.

You'd be better showing forecasts for a 3pm ko at say 1pm, 1.30pm, 2pm, 2.30pm, 3pm, 5pm, 5.30pm, 6pm, 6.30pm, 7pm
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X