• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Encapsulation -v- Component Design

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encapsulation -v- Component Design

Something for the .net programmers out there. I guess this is a top level question... As you maybe some of you have read, I am going through an issue with quality of code etc.

My boss has delivered some code today / this morning which I cannot understand his logic. I'm a C# developer since PDC 2001 and he's from a from a C / C++ background. Everything to him he has to box as an Object, I'm still standing my ground and yes... there has to be a certain amount of encapsulation but not to the degree where code is unmanageable and you have to 'Go To Definition' in VS on several layers to understand what its doing. Surely we have an object but its Component Design now, albeit it's based on a Base Class. Finding it frustrating now. Segregate objects !

Sorry. I think I have to side with your boss here.

Whatever you think of his code, his concept is right.

An object should be a black box. It should have well documented public interfaces, but what goes on inside the box is, to you, as a consumer of the object, none of your business.

You imply that your boss's class is derived from a base class, so it should exhibit all of the properties and methods of that base class. Issues should only arise when your boss's class offers additional properties or methods, or overrides the properties or methods of the base class. If these additions are poorly worked, or badly documented, then you have a problem.

Whatever issues you have with your boss's class, they wont be solved by snooping around in its internals.

Talk about missing the point of OOP!

This is in no way .net specific, incidently.
    Last edited by bogeyman; 19 November 2008, 01:04.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I'm with your boss and Bogeyman, the whole point of OO is to encapsulate data and logic. I bet you're one of those annoying people who make member variables public because you can't be bothered to write getters and setters.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

WTS

I am a recent escapee from VB6 land and I have to say that the encapsulation approach is a no brainer.

I don't mean to be obnoxious here but you actually sound like a VB6er who understands basic compositional objects but not inheritance.

Comment

Originally posted by Solent View Post
          Something for the .net programmers out there. I guess this is a top level question... As you maybe some of you have read, I am going through an issue with quality of code etc.

My boss has delivered some code today / this morning which I cannot understand his logic. I'm a C# developer since PDC 2001 and he's from a from a C / C++ background. Everything to him he has to box as an Object, I'm still standing my ground and yes... there has to be a certain amount of encapsulation but not to the degree where code is unmanageable and you have to 'Go To Definition' in VS on several layers to understand what its doing. Surely we have an object but its Component Design now, albeit it's based on a Base Class. Finding it frustrating now. Segregate objects !
          I don't want to sound offensive but if you have around 7/8 years experience in C# the penny should have dropped by now. Not to mention that you can't read a book or article on the internet where they don't use the approach outlined by your boss, it's not an OO language for nothing. As pointed out this code should come with documentation so you can see the public interfaces and relationships between objects.

Comment

As an academic learner of OOP, I am siding with your boss here. Encapsulation is needed, no matter how deep. If the problem is with documentation, then take it up with your boss... Don't argue with him about the need to encapsulate.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I'm a C# developer since PDC 2001
              And before 2001 what did you do?

Sounds like you might be promoting the 'plenty quickness, much cheapness' variety of OOP.

If you've being doing C# development since 2001 and you still fail to grasp the relevance of encapsulation and inheritance then I suggest you find alternative employment.

As for you boss, what does some old C/C++ dude know?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                And before 2001 what did you do?

Sounds like you might be promoting the 'plenty quickness, much cheapness' variety of OOP.

If you've being doing C# development since 2001 and you still fail to grasp the relevance of encapsulation and inheritance then I suggest you find alternative employment.

As for you boss, what does some old C/C++ dude know?
                GRASP is an apt word. Solent, google "GRASP and OO". It's the basis for your bosses logic and makes great sense.

Comment

Working...
                X