• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Memory upgrade on Toshiba Equiuim Laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory upgrade on Toshiba Equiuim Laptop

My wife's laptop was running slow so I decided to add more RAM as it only had 256KB. When I checked with what memory to buy they recommended adding RAM to the expansion port and also swap out the existing RAM taking the total to 2GB

I ordered the RAM and installed the expansion RAM first. All fine and the laptop does run better. However I get some error messages that the Toshiba tech support say is due to minor differences between the new RAm and the existing RAM.

I am now trying to find a manual that shows me where the existing RAM is but do you think I can find it?! Can I heck?! I have taken the back off and looked under the keyboard but not there.........!

I may resort to getting someone else to do it since I will be in the doghouse if I b*@@er up Mrs Mustangs laptop!!

Any suggestions?!

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    My wife's laptop was running slow so I decided to add more RAM as it only had 256KB. When I checked with what memory to buy they recommended adding RAM to the expansion port and also swap out the existing RAM taking the total to 2GB

I ordered the RAM and installed the expansion RAM first. All fine and the laptop does run better. However I get some error messages that the Toshiba tech support say is due to minor differences between the new RAm and the existing RAM.

I am now trying to find a manual that shows me where the existing RAM is but do you think I can find it?! Can I heck?! I have taken the back off and looked under the keyboard but not there.........!

I may resort to getting someone else to do it since I will be in the doghouse if I b*@@er up Mrs Mustangs laptop!!

Any suggestions?!
    This may not be applicable in your case, but some memory is built on-board the motherboard as this would provide faster response for the graphics card, which shares the m/b memory. I know it may not be of help....
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Any suggestions?!
      What model is the laptop?
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        What model is the laptop?
        Equium M50-PSM57E

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          This may not be applicable in your case, but some memory is built on-board the motherboard as this would provide faster response for the graphics card, which shares the m/b memory.
          Hopefully that is a worst case scenario and won't apply but useful to know. I will phone Toshiba support tomorrow but last time I spoke to them they seemed to suggest the original RAM was upgradeable. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Equium M50-PSM57E
            Not quite the same model code, but is this of any use? Seems to suggest a couple of possible locations - one likely candidate is that the second memory slot is hidden under the first memory module.

Comment

Did you ever sort this Mustang?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                Did you ever sort this Mustang?
                Hi VF. I did thanks yes. The 2nd/original RAM location is under the keyboard. It was hidden by a couple of layers of tinfoil and wires but I eventually found it. Thanks for your help!

I now have it at max RAM size which has helped the speed but sadly I still get the error messages which Toshiba insisted would go away once I had both RAM chips compatable. It's been suggested that I reinstall the Operating system.

More time spent - cheaper to buy a new one!!

Comment

Hi VF. I did thanks yes. The 2nd/original RAM location is under the keyboard. It was hidden by a couple of layers of tinfoil and wires but I eventually found it. Thanks for your help!

I now have it at max RAM size which has helped the speed but sadly I still get the error messages which Toshiba insisted would go away once I had both RAM chips compatable. It's been suggested that I reinstall the Operating system.

More time spent - cheaper to buy a new one!!
                  Where did you buy your RAM?

If it was from Crucial or if it was Kingston RAM, don't they offer guaranteed compatability?

Comment

Working...
                  X