• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

sql server 2005

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by London75 View Post
    See bolded above, that should sort the database thing. Can I ask why there are 10 databases? That might end up biting you in the ass.
    I am converting a software house from vb/access to sql server. They have a pretty granular set up. This particular target company has ten of their products.

I have suggested merging 10 into 2 - we'll see what occurs.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I am converting a software house from vb/access to sql server. They have a pretty granular set up. This particular target company has ten of their products.

I have suggested merging 10 into 2 - we'll see what occurs.

The reason I was worried is because you'll have to maintain things like stored procedures and users in each database making code control harder. It just means you have to be really careful to make sure everything is always up to date.

There is one tip that isn't necessarily approved of but works, create your stored procedures in the master database and start the name sp_. they then don't need to be created in all other databases as running db1.dbo.sp_storedproc1 will run the procedure sp_storedproc1 in the context of the db1 database even though it actually lives in master.

Comment

Originally posted by London75 View Post
        The reason I was worried is because you'll have to maintain things like stored procedures and users in each database making code control harder. It just means you have to be really careful to make sure everything is always up to date.

There is one tip that isn't necessarily approved of but works, create your stored procedures in the master database and start the name sp_. they then don't need to be created in all other databases as running db1.dbo.sp_storedproc1 will run the procedure sp_storedproc1 in the context of the db1 database even though it actually lives in master.
        it will come as no suprise to you to know that I want as little to do with the (ultimate) clients dba's as is possible. So putting stuff in master is a good tip, but I probably wont follow it up

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
        X