• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USB disk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB disk

Mu USB disk has started misbehaving. When I insert it into the USB slot, it is still recognised as a flash drive etc but when I go to access my files it says "The disk is not formatted".

Help!! What can I do? I have some back ups of it but they are a couple of days old.....!! *gulp*

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    Mu USB disk has started misbehaving. When I insert it into the USB slot, it is still recognised as a flash drive etc but when I go to access my files it says "The disk is not formatted".

Help!! What can I do? I have some back ups of it but they are a couple of days old.....!! *gulp*
    Go to manufacturers' website. Sometimes they offer utils to recover drives.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Those USB Flash memory things are terrible.

I've had loads of them. Copy files on there. A few weeks later, they are gone or the device is dead or it says "Not Formatted".

Okay for shifting files between computers but not good for backups.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Those USB Flash memory things are terrible.

I've had loads of them. Copy files on there. A few weeks later, they are gone or the device is dead or it says "Not Formatted".

Okay for shifting files between computers but not good for backups.
        Yes. Made to a price not a spec.

I use camera cards with a USB card reader. Camera memory cards are made to much higher standards than 'sticks'.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Yes. Made to a price not a spec.

I use camera cards with a USB card reader. Camera memory cards are made to much higher standards than 'sticks'.
          If you buy a stick, get a decent one. I use only SanDisk. Have 3: one to carry, one at home, one in the office; and sync them often. But indeed, never depend on a single stick not having failed.

Comment

Why stop at 3. Have 4. Leave one on the train / bus then all the valuable data from the government contract you're working on is miraculously backed up and easily recoverable from the internet.
            Last edited by lightng; 6 November 2008, 00:58.

Comment

Working...
            X