• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mac Woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And in the future, get her to turn Time Machine on...
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

i wish i could get my time machine to work.

Comment

actually, it's not the time machine i have problems with but the time capsule. thing worked perfectly for about 4 months and then fell over in a hissy fit of backup drive permission failure. tried erasing and starting again using the various solutions proposed by apple support but still no good. that was a month ago - i must try and see if there are any new fixes...... not ideal spending all that company money on a flash backup if that dang thing won't work. i'm using big usb's in the meantime. which reminds me - i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup, i must do a backup,

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          actually, it's not the time machine i have problems with but the time capsule. thing worked perfectly for about 4 months and then fell over in a hissy fit of backup drive permission failure. tried erasing and starting again using the various solutions proposed by apple support but still no good. that was a month ago - i must try and see if there are any new fixes...... not ideal spending all that company money on a flash backup if that dang thing won't work. i'm using big usb's in the meantime. which reminds me - i must do a backup,
          Never used the Time Capsule thingie, but I do use Time machine on a firewire drive & this to backup to a network drive. Seems to work so far...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            One thing that springs to mind is the question of how you are copying the Appleworks documents from the older Mac to the newer.

I believe (although I may be wrong) that Appleworks on Mac OS 9 (and below) used the resource fork of the file, which (as you probably know) is a separate stream associated with the file containing important metadata and so forth (similar to alternate streams in NTFS).

If you're transferring by copying to a USB stick or external drive, that will probably be formatted using FAT or FAT32, which will only copy the data fork and lose the resource fork, meaning the file can't be opened.

If this is the case, try attaching a USB drive and formatting it on the old Mac (HFS, I believe, is the necessary format) and copy the files to that using the Finder, then copy them off there onto the new machine. This should ensure that the resource forks also get copied.

We backed up the files to cd some time ago from the macbook(OSX). iWork wont read them, but if I load the CD into the old iMac, Appleworks reads them no problem. They were all created using Appleworks 6 - nothing earlier so according to the Apple support stuff I have found, iWork should load them, but it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
              And in the future, get her to turn Time Machine on...
              Thanks, will do.

Comment

Assume you've done the normal things like repairing permissions?

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
                  waving a voodoo chicken over the keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
                    No - I cannae change the permissions on a CDR I've already burned - although I could copy the files I guess - but why would they have the wrong permissions anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      No - I cannae change the permissions on a CDR I've already burned - although I could copy the files I guess - but why would they have the wrong permissions anyway?
                      They wouldn't, and if they did, it wouldn't matter. As John Gruber explains in the article I linked to above, it's just a bit of voodoo

Insofar as the "Run Disk Utility and Fix Permissions" incantation does anything at all, it only affects system files; it has nothing to do with user data.

Comment

Working...
                      X