• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet radio

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet radio

While we're doing Consumer Reports, any recommandations for a compact internet radio, so as to get decent radio in the hotel?

Of course the laptop will do it but the sound's crap and I don't like the shutdown time from Today before leaving in the morning. Maybe the answer is a linux-flash memory netbook?

I use the telly in my hotel room to listen to Today :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      I use the telly in my hotel room to listen to Today :-)
      Nice if it works. Cable in Frankfurt area doesn't even carry BBC World TV after 8 a.m.

Comment

i get CNN and eurosport in english .. that's it

bbc iplayer via VPN to my home network works a treat though
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          i get CNN and eurosport in english .. that's it

bbc iplayer via VPN to my home network works a treat though
          I've thought of that but decided that it's only television, it's not worth the effort.

Comment

Have a look at Revo's range. They need a wifi network - I don't know if that's a problem for your situation. But they are a nice little Scottish company who make nifty little radios.

Comment

The Revo range looks very nice. But a little pricey.

I bought a BT Internet radio a few months ago and I must say I'm very pleased with it. Sound quality is good, really easy to setup and the range of available internet radio stations is amazing.

They're £50ish delivered.
              Ebay Link

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post
                The Revo range looks very nice. But a little pricey.

I bought a BT Internet radio a few months ago and I must say I'm very pleased with it. Sound quality is good, really easy to setup and the range of available internet radio stations is amazing.

They're £50ish delivered.
                Ebay Link
                TBH neither the Revo nor the BT look especially compact, which was the point of the original post. I have a couple of internet radios at home, but I'm looking for something that fits in carry-on for 5-day weeks away (and I'm not one of those who takes the wardrobe-sized cases in the cabin).

Might go for a netbook, as I thought of before. Laptop works but it just annoys the crap out of me to wait around in the morning while Windows shuts down....

BTW I did bring a shortwave radio one week to try it out (an old friend from 20 years ago in S America) but ISTM that there's sod all on S/W these days. Either that or expectations have changed and it just isn't so exciting to get whatever English news you can. Of course I remember 30 years ago learning German in Scotland and getting excited about picking up German radio, ARD but only at night in winter. Did I ever tell you about when I was young......
                Last edited by expat; 3 November 2008, 18:53.

Comment

I've got the biggest Revo (iblik radio station) and it's actually a lot smaller in real life than it looked in the photo - 25 x 12 x 7cm. The Pico is presumably even smaller than that.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Nice if it works. Cable in Frankfurt area doesn't even carry BBC World TV after 8 a.m.
                    Pop in to Saturn or Media Markt if you can, they were doing some good deals on Internet radios recently
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X