• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux Automated Deployment... on ESX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Automated Deployment... on ESX

I've been looking into creating an Ubuntu auto deplyment server. But my company seems to be wanting to go down the VM route. Using ESX and ESXi. Anyone here know if it's possible to set up an Ubuntu VM to act as the auto deploy server for all new Ubuntu VM's to be hosted on the same ESX box?

I dont know how the Ubuntu does the deployment but being virtual shouldn't affect it. I assume you want to do some sort of PXE boot to the Ubuntu deployment server to automate your build. This will probably work on the same ESX host but sometimes there are issues with PXE boot from the same host. Citrix Provisioning Server certainly has a problem with it. You may need to ensure your Ubuntu deployment server is on another host.

Never quite worked out why, but it must be something to do with the way VMware implements its virtual switches.

Comment

Actually, I don't mind where the Ubuntu PXE server sits. It will be servicing new VMs created on the ESXi host though.

Comment

Yeah that should be fine. If you do get any issues, move the Ubuntu deployment server to a second ESX host (if you have one) to see if that fixes the issue

Comment

Don't see why not, as long as the server that is acting as DHCP tells its clients where the Ubuntu box is then away you go

There are some good tools that help with auto-deployment

Ubuntu Landscape
          FAI
          System Imager
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
          X