• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oracle view

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Any object's DDL:

SET SERVEROUT ON SIZE 1000000 LONG 1000000 PAGES 9999 LINES 200
    execute dbms_METADATA.SET_TRANSFORM_PARAM(DBMS_METADATA.SE SSION_TRANSFORM,'SQLTERMINATOR',true);

SELECT DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL('<object_type>','<object_nam e>','<owner>')
    FROM DUAL;

The DBA may well dob you in.
    Typical DBA, overcomplicating things!

What's wrong with SELECT text FROM all_views WHERE view_name = '<blah>'?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
      Call the DBA "Burleson" - if he's got any current savvy, he'll be well pissed off.
      A bit but still made me
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        i have a link to an oracle view. I want to query it and link it to some indexed tables, I am using decode quite a bit.

the view returns 3 million rows, my result is 2.5 k rows.

the problem is that my 2.5k rows takes 40 minutes to produce. The oracle dba will not supply the view sql, he will not let me build any temp tables or functions.

is there any other way I can speed this up ?

You could try for a materialized view instead, but since the DBA won't let you create temporary tables, functions, or even give you the SQL behind the view, that's a long shot.

Is it a standard view in Apps, or is it bespoke / not in Apps? If it is, then you could always ask some nice contractor / consultant / website somewhere if they can describe the view for you in their system and tell you what sits behind it?

If it were me, I'd just look at user_views, get the code and go from there, but that's just me. DBAs - who needs them?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          You could try for a materialized view instead, but since the DBA won't let you create temporary tables, functions, or even give you the SQL behind the view, that's a long shot.

Is it a standard view in Apps, or is it bespoke / not in Apps? If it is, then you could always ask some nice contractor / consultant / website somewhere if they can describe the view for you in their system and tell you what sits behind it?

If it were me, I'd just look at user_views, get the code and go from there, but that's just me. DBAs - who needs them?

merci.

I got it in msaccess using select * from all_views (great minds eh faqqer)

now I know where the data is coming from I have a fighting chance of streamlining the process.

if I put a simple select on top of the view, will they be combined into a single statement before being executed ? I am guessing so. but what happens if I go the whole hog and put the group by on top, would that be applied before the select , or after ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
          X