• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IE6 Can Ping But Cant Display Web Pages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE6 Can Ping But Cant Display Web Pages

Hi,

PC started playing up yesterday, I can get a valid connection and ping www.bbc.co.uk and get a reply via cmd, but if I try and open the page via IE6 it gives the standard error 'Cant Display Display page it might not be avaliable DNS' ......

I spent hours on it trying to fix but no luck . The only thing I can think that has changed is I was getting a msg saying 'Updates Now Avaliable for download from MS', Im pretty sure I downloaded them.

There is quite a bit on the web about the problem so will try them tonight, wondered if anyone else though had a simular problem and how they resolved it.

PCs =

Bit of a long shot, but try clearing your cache.

tim

Comment

reset everything possible first!!! routers, modems, cable box etc... the number of times I had those problems and all that was needed was the router switching off and on again.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
        reset everything possible first!!! routers, modems, cable box etc... the number of times I had those problems and all that was needed was the router switching off and on again.

Thanks for the ideas, Ive tried all of these though already, phecking thing.

Managed to have a look on the web though now and seems as its a common problem with XP and IE6. Might just cut to the chase and do a rebuild

Comment

Check your connection in IE (tools - Internt Options - Connections - LAN Settings). Do you have proxy specified? If so, is it correct? If not, can you open a direct connection on port 80?

Comment

Does your email still work?, e.g. Outlook/Express, if not then it's probably not a fault with IE.

I'd follow Craigs route and reset/reboot everything, repair/re-enable the connection, and if you have some sort of firewall, check the logs.

I've come across this quite often with Win XP, but for the most part it's always be down to some component, 'Generic Host' etc, being denied DNS lookup through one thing or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
              Does your email still work?, e.g. Outlook/Express, if not then it's probably not a fault with IE.

I'd follow Craigs route and reset/reboot everything, repair/re-enable the connection, and if you have some sort of firewall, check the logs.

I've come across this quite often with Win XP, but for the most part it's always be down to some component, 'Generic Host' etc, being denied DNS lookup through one thing or another.

Tried everything still no luck. I tried to a System Restore to a point before I got the problem, but it kept comming back saying 'Cant Restore To This Point'. I noticed in System Restore it shows something called 'Software Delievery Service 2.0' had been installed just before the problems started. Searched the web again and quite a few people have had the same problem, good old MS screwing up PCs again.

Going to have to reformat and rebuild

Comment

Have you tried Linux?

Comment

Install mozilla or firefox, if problem is still there then is probably something wrong with OS and simplest solution will be a rebuild. If another browser works fine then is IE, in this case could be anything from an MS falute to some mad addware/malware screwing things up

Comment

It's a DNS issue, try a couple of nslookups from the command line. Ipconfig /all then ping the DNS servers themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X