• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Netbooks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netbooks

I'm considering getting a netbook (or a small, cheap computer).

Options are Dell Mini 9 of EEE 901.

Anybody got either of these and care to share (experiences & knowledge - not the netbook )?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

I've wanted a netbook for a while and couldn't make my mind up what I needed from it. In the end I went for the Advent 4211 (MSI Wind clone) partly because of the 10 inch screen, the 80GB drive and Windows XP, but mainly the price.

PC World had some refurbished units in that come to £245 inc delivery, and I managed to get another £18 off in various cashbacks. Still waiting for it to be delivered (only ordered yesterday).

Normally I wouldn't touch Advent stuff but at that price I'm prepaired for the gamble.

If you can wait the Samsung NC10 looks quite nice too.

Comment

I have a dell Mini 9 and pretty happy with it so far. Perhaps a bit slow to load programs but for browsing and quick note taking then fine. Oh actually - pretty pi**ed that it doesn't come with a protective sleeve/case, had to buy one for an EEE PC!

Comment

I've seen rumours of an imminent Dell Mini 12, which if it's priced right could be interesting.

My main problem with the current crop is the low res screens, typically 1024x600 if you're lucky. Hardly usable, got more pixels on my mobile phone!

I think it's M$ (and Intel with the hardware?) restricting the spec of the netbooks by only offering discounted XP licenses if they conform to a certain spec. Hence some (e.g. HP Mini 2133), are having to bundle Vista with them if they deviate from the agreed spec, bumping up the price. Vista on one of these things must be like trying to give Jo Brand a piggy back. Not a pretty sight.

So whilst I'm tempted, I think the 12" ones offering 1280x800 are the minimum I could live with, though I suppose the HP (same resolution on a 8.9" screen!) could be upgraded to XP or a linux derivative quite easily if you need the portability and cuteness.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Ive got an eee 901. Had it since they first arrived on UK shores. Battery life is fanatastic. 5hrs.
          If you have fat fingers the keyboard might be too small.
          It has an excellent community backing with lots of support for custom Ubuntu kernels and geeky stuff.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php
          Last edited by crack_ho; 16 October 2008, 20:29.

Comment

Guys at work have the EEE, Mini 9 and one of those Acer jobbies. They all look like kids bloody Tonka toys to me; I'm waiting for stock of the new Macbook Air and I'm going to get one of those instead!

Comment

Working...
            X