• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spare Router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare Router

I was wondering if the following is possible - although I suspect that it isn't.

I have 2 netgear routers and a couple of wall plug connections. I was wondering it it would be possible to do the following.

1 - have 1 router next to the master plug socket (near the PS3) so that it could connect over ethernet. From the second port I'd connect an ethernet cable to the wall plug.

2 - upstairs where I keep my other computers, connect the other wall plug and effectively use my other router as a hub

Does anybody know if it is possible to do this? The routers are nothing fancy, just your run of the mill netgear 4 ports ADSL routers.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Yep. You should turn off DHCP on the "slave" one, and you'll probably have to give it a manual IP just to stop it conflicting. Other than that, it should just function as an ethernet hub and the router part won't hurt anything.

Of course hubs are cheap as chips.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      1 - have 1 router next to the master plug socket (near the PS3) so that it could connect over ethernet. From the second port I'd connect an ethernet cable to the wall plug.
      Why can't you just cable direct from the power socket to the PS3?
      (I presume you're using ethernet over power)
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Presumably he needs the downstairs router to be a router - i.e. connected to the phone line.

I have powerline connectors, but the upstairs/office one has a built in 4-port switch.

Comment

I want the router to be as close as possible to the master socket. I'll then use one of its ports to connect to the PS3. I'll then use the home plugs to connect upstairs - currently we have a long extension on the phone line which goes from the lounge, up the wall into the main bedroom and then under the carpet to the computer room which is on the complete opposite side of the house. So there is a lot of crappy phone cable coupled with a couple of connectors. The other router will connect my PC and my daughters by using the old router as a hub. My son has a wireless card in his PC and I'm hoping that the newer netgear one downstairs might give a better wireless signal than the old netgear one curently does.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            I want the router to be as close as possible to the master socket.

I'm thinking of doing the same after reading the following:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...oadband_boost/

and hidden away in the comments:

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/b...enutshell.html

So rather than eff about with BT bellwire, I'm looking to make the current extension redundant by relocating the router to the master socket, then run Cat5 to the PC in other room.

I'm sure that'll result in my current 3mbps being upped to 8mbps or beyond.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              So rather than eff about with BT bellwire, I'm looking to make the current extension redundant by relocating the router to the master socket, then run Cat5 to the PC in other room.

I did this recently - essentially my router is plugged straight in to the "test socket" so all the extensions in the house are disconnected (our phones are Dect run off a base station also connected to the master socket). I got a 3mbps increase in speed, not to mention a more stable connection.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                I'm thinking of doing the same after reading the following:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...oadband_boost/

and hidden away in the comments:

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/b...enutshell.html

I've got an i-plate. It boosted my speed from about 6.3mb to about 6.5mb. Works different for everyone though.

Comment

How do you do this???

Comment

How come the ADSL service has been around for 8 years and nobody has thought of this before?

I've got a DIY extension lead from the master socket into the living room with phone and router plugged in, so maybe I'm losing some speed too.

Comment

Working...
                    X