• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website promo codes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website promo codes

Hi all. Here's an interesting one.

You know when customers get sent promotional codes, which they enter when placing an order on a website, meaning that they get a discount? Well it's not uncommon for these codes to get given out, maybe to friends and family, or sometimes put on a web forum which anyone can then use.

I'm trying to think of a way to make these only valid for the person it was intended. The problem is, the code gets sent out via snail mail, and the same code will be put in every letter.

One solution I thought of is to say "Your code is xxxx12345 plus the first and last letter of your postcode", or something similar. In this case, obviously you'd have to know the people you were sending to, and set up the codes in a database first. It's not foolproof, but I think it would work.

Any other thoughts on this?

Originally posted by Gros View Post
    Make them one-shot codes. Once used, they become invalid. Only downside is you need to send out different codes, and make them not-easily guessed by padding them.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gros View Post
      Hi all. Here's an interesting one.

You know when customers get sent promotional codes, which they enter when placing an order on a website, meaning that they get a discount? Well it's not uncommon for these codes to get given out, maybe to friends and family, or sometimes put on a web forum which anyone can then use.

I'm trying to think of a way to make these only valid for the person it was intended. The problem is, the code gets sent out via snail mail, and the same code will be put in every letter.

One solution I thought of is to say "Your code is xxxx12345 plus the first and last letter of your postcode", or something similar. In this case, obviously you'd have to know the people you were sending to, and set up the codes in a database first. It's not foolproof, but I think it would work.

Those are opposing requirements....

Why bother with the code at all?

With my security hat on, this is a stupid business requirement.

As TBYJ says they need to be one shot codes or you need to confirm elligibility to use the code in some other way.
      B00med!

Comment

If you only want it used by someone once, but anyone can use it once then:
        If it's a one use code you can check on email once they login, then it will be invalid if they've used it before. obviously can use another email...but you could do the same with postcode + house number? depends how your system is setup, do you choose address before entering code?

Otherwise you need unique codes really, obviously with snail mail there isnt an easy way (that i can think of) to make it unique to them without unique codes

Comment

Other possibility is to make it time limited. They have to use it within a day or two of you sending the code. Doesn't stop people quickly distributing it to F&F, but cuts down on the continual re-use.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Forst and last letter of postcode wont anyway.

E.g.:

YO12 5QH
            YO11 4RH
            YO1 1HH

etc....

Especially when you consider that YO covers most, if not all, of North Yorkshire.
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              Forst and last letter of postcode wont anyway.

E.g.:

YO12 5QH
              YO11 4RH
              YO1 1HH

etc....

Especially when you consider that YO covers most, if not all, of North Yorkshire.
              WHS

Has to be a shelf life code or email response activation on unique code, or at least a specific area code.
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I wouldn't bother about it at all.

Just think that anyone using it is a customer that you might not of hard originally, the more people that use the code the more sales you make.

I have issued the same code for the duration of the summer to all customers and i'm not to fussed that they can pass it on either

Just make sure your T&C's cover the use of codes and might delay shipping if suddenly swamped with orders.

Comment

Thanks all.

Hmm. I'd hoped to come up with something slick and clever, but it doesn't look like there really is any obvious answer. I'll keep thinking about it though!

Comment

house number, postcode + promo would guarantee they're on your mailing list no?
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X