• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Access Query Help Needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access Query Help Needed

I have 2 queries I am trying to combine here.

I have 2 tables.

Basically:

Table1:
    Date
    EmployeeCode
    Hours_On_TA_System

Table2:
    Date
    EmployeeCode
    Hours_On_WMS_System

I'm trying to combine the two so that I get a list of:

Date
    Employee Code
    Hours_On_WMS
    Hours_On_TA

The problem with doing a join is that employees may appear in either table1, table2 or both.

With joins I can either show those in table1 matching to those in table 2. Or those in table 2 and the matching records from table 1.

There may be people who are in table 1 and not table 2 but also those that are in table 2 but not 1 at the same time.

Any ideas...I seem to remember something about Union queries but I can't see if this is what I need.

Cheers
    Sockpuppet

Sounds like UNION ALL is what you're after.

Comment

Like this?

Code:
      Date   Employee Code Hours_On_WMS Hours_On_TA
      01/01 100001            2.5
      01/02 100002                                  8
      01/02 100003            6.5
      01/02 100004            3                    5.5
      In a proper system you need a Full outer join... but Access doesn't support this
      Have a google, there are ways of simulating a full outer join
      http://bytes.com/forum/thread190756.html

Alternatively... create a numbers/dates table and use 2 left outer joins
      Last edited by Spacecadet; 1 October 2008, 08:19.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

This should do it:

SELECT Table1.Date, Table1.EmployeeCode, Table1.Hours_On_TA_System, 0 AS Hours_On_WMS_System
        FROM Table1
        UNION
        Select Table2.Date, Table2.EmployeeCode, 0 As Hours_On_TA_System, Table2.Hours_On_WMS_System
        FROM Table2

Comment

Cheers guys.

Help much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
            This should do it:

SELECT Table1.Date, Table1.EmployeeCode, Table1.Hours_On_TA_System, 0 AS Hours_On_WMS_System
            FROM Table1
            UNION
            Select Table2.Date, Table2.EmployeeCode, 0 As Hours_On_TA_System, Table2.Hours_On_WMS_System
            FROM Table2
            How's about summing by EmployeeCode (for all dates - danger!). It's been a while, just clearing away cobwebs...

Code:
            SELECT tmptable.EmployeeCode, Sum(tmptable.TA_HOURS) AS SumOfTA_HOURS, Sum(tmptable.WMS_HOURS) AS SumOfWMS_HOURS
            FROM [SELECT  Table1.EmployeeCode as EmployeeCode, Table1.Hours_On_TA_System as TA_HOURS, 0 AS WMS_HOURS
                  FROM Table1
                  UNION ALL
                  Select  Table2.EmployeeCode  as EmployeeCode, 0 As TA_HOURS, Table2.Hours_On_WMS_System as WMS_HOURS
                  FROM Table2
               ]. AS tmptable
            GROUP BY tmptable.EmployeeCode;

Comment

Working...
            X