• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freecom LAN NAS drive woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freecom LAN NAS drive woes

Has anyone on this board managed to set this thing up over a LAN?

The drive works fine via a USB port, but fails to register over the LAN. To add to the problems, it appears to be messing up LAN/Internet connections on other machines.

The software manuals are of no use, as is their tech support.

The DHCP client lists shows the device and it has an IP address allocated. However, I can't connect to it in any way.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by birdy-numnum View Post
    The drive works fine via a USB port, but fails to register over the LAN. To add to the problems, it appears to be messing up LAN/Internet connections on other machines.
    This is a pretty wild shot in the dark, but is the NAS configured as a DHCP server - perhaps conflicting with your normal DHCP server (router, server, etc.) ???
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Quite possibly. However, without being able to log into the web panel to turn it off, I'm a bit stuck!

Why would they ship an item with DHCP enabled anyway? Surely it should be disabled as default?

Comment

Quite possibly. However, without being able to log into the web panel to turn it off, I'm a bit stuck!

Why would they ship an item with DHCP enabled anyway? Surely it should be disabled as default?
        Which Freecom NAS model do you have?

Comment

The reason why they should enable DHCP on the NAS is so that it can acquire an IP address when it is connected to your network. You can disable it after you successfully connect to it. Daft question... are you sure the web portion uses port 80 as the default web port? I assume that SSH access is disabled? Have you tried connecting via HTTPS? I assume that the NAS doesn't show up in Network Neighbourhood (if you are using Windows)

According to the documentation on Freecom's website, the following TCPIP settings are recommended for the computer before first connection to the NAS

The window is updated to show your settings, which should match the values
          below if you are using the default TCP/IP settings that FREECOM recommends:
          • The IP address is between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254
          • The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
          • The default gateway is 192.168.1.1
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            The reason why they should enable DHCP on the NAS is so that it can acquire an IP address when it is connected to your network.
            I think he may have been referring to it being enabled as a DHCP server rather than a client. Having the DHCP client enabled by default makes perfect sense as you say.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              I think he may have been referring to it being enabled as a DHCP server rather than a client. Having the DHCP client enabled by default makes perfect sense as you say.
              Fair enough. I didn't read it that way. . I read it as being the DHCP client on the NAS device.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                I didn't read it that way.
                Must have been those glasses

Comment

If it's network attached have you tried:-

1. Check the device acting as the DHCP server on your network to see if it's issued an IP address to the NAS
                  2. Ping the IP address
                  3. Access/map the NAS via IP address rather than name.
                  4. Are you trying to browse to the device on your network by name?
                  5. Is the NAS registered on your DNS and if so is the DNS entry valid?

I'd be surprised if you can't access the IP/name/other config settings when you plug it in locally via the USB cable. Assuming the hardware isn't faulty (including the network port and cable) odds are it's a DNS resolution problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X