• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Default printer office 2003

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Firstly I don't actually have a printer. Secondly the dongle doesn't work unless there is a printer configured as Generic/Text only configured on POS1.

Hence I think I'm banjaxed.
    Get a PDF printer driver and set it to default.

Leave the existing printer attached for your dongle.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Get a PDF printer driver and set it to default.

Leave the existing printer attached for your dongle.
      Tried all that. The problem is the dongle only works if I have a default printer which is connected to LPT1.

(Still if I will keep running 20 year old Dos cobol compilers.........)

Comment

First post despite being a lurker for some time. Hello. I have no excuse and I offer shamefaced apologies all round.

Anyway - you can do this with macros, using AutoExec and AutoExit, which fire at startup and close of word.

In the default template (normal.dot) add a general declaration to hold the 'real' default printer. Then create AutoExec and AutoExit to handle setting the new default and swapping back to the original respectively. Will look something like this:

Code:
        Public strStartupPrinter As String
        Sub AutoExec()
            ' Save current default for later
            strStartupPrinter = Application.ActivePrinter
            ' Set new default printer
            Application.ActivePrinter = "CutePDF Writer"
        End Sub

Sub AutoExit()
        ' Revert to previous
            Application.ActivePrinter = strStartupPrinter
        End Sub
        Worth pointing out activeprinter does seem to set the windows default printer, so if the application using the dongle is up and running at the same time as word then, um, this might actually be no use whatsoever!

Still, HTH

Comment

There you are, VBA in template, what did I tell you? I take all the credit, details are beneath executive sorts like me.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Just redirect the LPT port to a shared printer
            Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Working...
            X