• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Server 2008 appears so slow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Server 2008 appears so slow

I've just managed to put Windows Server Enterprise 2008 on one of my machines. God it appears to be so slow! I put the 64bit version just to try it out. I've also put SQL Server 2008 CTP on it and it does seem slow as well.
    I was going to put Sharepoint 3 on it, but perhaps I don't have the hardware?

Its a 2Ghz Core Duo w/ 2Gig Ram.

I've got Centos 5 on identical hardware w/ Oracle 11g and it seems snappier.

What's others experiences.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

I'm running it on a couple of T60p Thinkpads and see no real problems. One TP has DB2 lite, Derby and a couple of other applications so its not really being pushed. The other has MySQL, DB2 and a load of development stuff on it and still see no real problems. Going to stick it on the x236 and load up some really big stuff and see what happens shortly...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Well, in that case.. on goes Sharepoint 3. Let see how that works out!

Especially as i've got SQL Server 2008 CTP on it!
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
      X