• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home network - which switch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home network - which switch

I'm in the process of setting up a home network using Cat6 cabling rather than wireless.

I'm considering an 8 port gigabit router. Can't see much difference between the Belkin and Netgear models.

Does anyone own one of these and if so, any issues?

I have the Netgear GS608 and an SMC (model escapes me) switch. I believe the Netgear supports Jumbo Frames which might be handy if your NICs also support that. I've certainly had no problems with mine.

CAT5e (but not CAT5) will also do the trick, and may work out a bit cheaper than CAT6.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
      ... Netgear GS608 ...
      Carries the backbone of data in my home office.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've got a netgear switch in the office

Works fine and dandy
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Don't go for a Cisco, I had one, and while they are great for client sites, they are noisy buggers and so crap for home office.

I like Netgears, good solid stuff.
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I've got an increasing amount of Netgear stuff.

Over-specifying your home network is a definite sign of uber-geekdom.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Another vote for Netgear here.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I've got an increasing amount of Netgear stuff.

Over-specifying your home network is a definite sign of uber-geekdom.
                Yup, I've even got their powerline stuff as I couldn't countenance wifi for xbox live.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

You need min cat5e for gigabit operation; I'd go for the best spec i.e. cat6.

Comment

Another vote for Netgear, I have a GS116 squirrelled away in the loft.

Comment

Working...
                    X