• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A great vista feature

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great vista feature

I am helping a builder friend put together an excel spreadsheet to cost a job. I emailed him a first cut - then he spent 2 hours editing. he kept saving. he want to email it back so I could check - he could not find it. I helped him search (not used vista before) - nothing. I assumed it was my rubbish vista knowledge - but it is a vista feature!

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...g-editing.html

Just how rubbish is that?

Still - I did tell the builder that the lessons hardest learnt are the best remembered! Nothing like a smug git to cheer people up...

This is not Vista specific - most mail clients (including Thunderbird) will save the file to a temp location when you select open.. Pretty standard behaviour, IMO..
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

I you open up Excel, it might be in the recently used files list?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        I you open up Excel, it might be in the recently used files list?
        Alas no - and it was not on the hard disk!

Comment

Originally posted by KevinS View Post
          This is not Vista specific - most mail clients (including Thunderbird) will save the file to a temp location when you select open.. Pretty standard behaviour, IMO..
          But do they delete them when you close the message?

Not even lots notes does that...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            But do they delete them when you close the message?
            I suspect it does, but I have never checked (known about this 'feature' for years)..

Comment

(known about this 'feature' for years)..
              well great for you! I also save any attachment seperately before editing (I am anal about backups).

But don't you feel a bit sorry for joe public?

Comment

well great for you! I also save any attachment seperately before editing (I am anal about backups).

But don't you feel a bit sorry for joe public?
                Can't say I do, actually - mostly because they pay me to fix their mess..

Comment

Can't say I do, actually - mostly because they pay me to fix their mess..
                  someone who likes microsoft! amazing...

Comment

someone who likes microsoft! amazing...
                    Show me the post where I said I like MS!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X