• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Updating XML doc in VB

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating XML doc in VB

Ok, so a VB.NET project has some XML comments. It has 'Generate XML document file' selected.

If I change the XML comments - but nothing else - and build it the output XML file is not updated. Any suggestions ?

[If I rebuild it is fine BTW].

Doesn't build just re-build the exe's and dll's whilst rebuild does the entire lot. Hence, the behaviour your experiencing is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
      Doesn't build just re-build the exe's and dll's whilst rebuild does the entire lot. Hence, the behaviour your experiencing is correct.
      I did think about that, as far as I am aware rebuild will build even if not up to date (I use this a fair bit in the project I am developing to ensure that dependencies are up to date since generally only single propjects are built 'cos it takes so long).

If I make a change with actually changes the DLL then the XML document is rebuilt. If I add and remove white space then I don't get a new dll and consequently no new XMLDoc on build.

I've been ferreting around MSDN and can't find anything.

Of course the more significant problem is that the source is completely unmanageable because it's full of XML documentation. I think there is some code in it somewhere but it is getting hard to tell

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Of course the more significant problem is that the source is completely unmanageable because it's full of XML documentation. I think there is some code in it somewhere but it is getting hard to tell
        So close of all the comments? VS lets your hide them.

TM

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
          So close of all the comments? VS lets your hide them.

TM
          Yes I realise that. But I haven't found a setting (or looked particularly hard for it ) which let's me have the initial outline setting exactly how I want them.

Comment

Working...
          X