• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Installing Msi with elevated admin rights?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Msi with elevated admin rights?

I'm running StudioAdmin and the MSIs I'm building won't run with a standard user. There is an option to change this if building MSis for Vista, but not Xp. Any ideas? Can't see anywhere in Installshield or Tuner to enable admin rights for the MSI.

cheers

Originally posted by PeterST1 View Post
    I'm running StudioAdmin and the MSIs I'm building won't run with a standard user. There is an option to change this if building MSis for Vista, but not Xp. Any ideas? Can't see anywhere in Installshield or Tuner to enable admin rights for the MSI.

cheers
    You can add some registry keys the registry table to install with elevated priviledges or your distribution tool (If you use 1) will have an option do do it.

I forget the key that needs to be added. A search on the web will return lots of solutions.

Comment

There's HKLM AlwaysInstall Elevated Keys AND HKCU... to properly set it, you have to set it in both places...

Comment

It is the deployment tool that handles this not the MSI. It will be running as system probably so will elevate.

The option for vista is so that you can create an MSI that does not prompt for UAC if it is only doing non-privileged stuff like writing to the user profile.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
          It is the deployment tool that handles this not the MSI. It will be running as system probably so will elevate.

The option for vista is so that you can create an MSI that does not prompt for UAC if it is only doing non-privileged stuff like writing to the user profile.
          Yup you're right, thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
          X