• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mouse, Keyboard problem...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse, Keyboard problem...

Got the bairn a replacement PC off ebay..canny spec:

"Upgraded Pc from when I first puchased it currently has an AMD XP3200 A socket processor with Akasa heatsink and Fan. The MB is an Asus A7NBX De-Luxe featuring AGP graphics and 5 PCi slots. RAM is two 1 GB sticks of Keil low latency with built in heat sink. Graphics are handled by an ATI X800 256 MB card and it also has an Audigy 2ZS PCi soundcard. Hard drive is a Western Digital 70GB with 8MB buffer, it has an LG CD re-writer a separate DVD player, it also has a floppy drive. This would make an excellent back-up computer as it's still pretty rapid and will handle most games and applications with ease. It doesn't come with an OS though and all you get is whats contained in the case (see photo)."

Stuck XP pro on it and it's been working fine for a couple of weeks. Until last night when it switched itself off. Couldn't power up or nowt. Left it half an hour and it came back on. Now the bairn's bedroom is quite warm so I've put it down to an overheating CPU but now the keyboard and mouse (both USB) are now acting up...working intermittently. Switched to other USB ports but still the same. I can't believe that the keyboard and mouse are suddenly both faulty at the same time??

Any suggestions please?
    Blood in your poo

Are your keyboard and mouse USB hardwired or are they those USB wireless types?
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Forgive the obvious question(s) but 1. have you tried the mouse and keyboard on another pc? 2. has the bairn been downloading dodgy software from t'interweb?

You should be able at least to boot the pc as far as the bios screen or win xp safe mode, or reboot to dos from a floppy if you have one? If not it really is fooked.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
        Are your keyboard and mouse USB hardwired or are they those USB wireless types?
        hard wired
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          Forgive the obvious question(s) but 1. have you tried the mouse and keyboard on another pc? 2. has the bairn been downloading dodgy software from t'interweb?

You should be able at least to boot the pc as far as the bios screen or win xp safe mode, or reboot to dos from a floppy if you have one? If not it really is fooked.
          Yes they work on another PC and it's a clean build so no dodgy stuff.
          The Pc boots up fine when cooled down so I think I've nailed down the problem to the fan. The keyboard and mouse still remain a problem. Would it be worth sticking a converter (PS2) and using the proper sockets?
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
          X