• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VPN on mobile phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN on mobile phone

Helllloooooo,

So I'm after a new mobile, and I need to be able to vpn into a windows network (pptp i think).
    Does anyone do this with theirs/know a phone that does it?

I'll need to access afew different things once on the vpn, internal messenger and network drive access.

Any suggestions?
    THanks

Hiya,

Mine is a T-Mobile MDA Vario II and it supports IPSEC/L2TP and PPTP VPNs. It also supports local certificate and pre-shared key authentication for IPSEC/L2TP connections and standard CHAP authentication. This is a Windows Mobile 5.0 device but there is a newer Vario III available now.

There's no guarrantee however that it would work with your end point without some tinkering because the success of VPN connectivity is dependant upon configuration. You've not provided any clues about the type of device you are connecting to or how it is configured.

That said, in the past I've used mine to successfully connect to a clientco LAN through a CISCO PIX 501 firewall and copied a couple of small files off the LAN. It was just a little test I did to prove the firewall VPN was configured correctly...I was able to get it working in this scenario because I was in control the firewall (because I configured it) and the client connecting device (because that's my phone!).

If this is not the case for you, you're probably best trying to get a device on loan for you to play with and try out to see if you can get it going before you shell out cash.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
      Hiya,

Mine is a T-Mobile MDA Vario II and it supports IPSEC/L2TP and PPTP VPNs. It also supports local certificate and pre-shared key authentication for IPSEC/L2TP connections and standard CHAP authentication. This is a Windows Mobile 5.0 device but there is a newer Vario III available now.

You can now download windows mobile 6 for the Vario II from t-mobile.co.uk, upgraded mine a couple of months ago.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
        You can now download windows mobile 6 for the Vario II from t-mobile.co.uk, upgraded mine a couple of months ago.
        Thanks for the info - I'll do that.

Comment

No problems.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-a...tware-updates/

The Click "MDA / SDA Series" Then in the popup select "Vario" in the top menu (Not MDA), then "Vario II"

But note, this will wipe your phone!

Still Invoicing

Comment

Cheers done. It's pretty

Comment

Working...
            X