• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Garmin or Tom Tom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin or Tom Tom

I'm looking around these days for a entry-level sat nav. And I think I've come across a bit of a relegious battle. garmin V tom tom. Garmin boasts better navigation while tom tom is full of features. tom tom's seem to be cheaper as well.

I have decided to go for an entry level Garmin, see how it goes and if I find sat nav usefull - upgrade. The usual blah blah blah.

Unfortunately it seems like Garmin has about 50 different versions and I've no idea which one is the plain jane version. Any tips?

Then again..tom tom has its ONE series which is its entry level and the one I like is ONE XL Traffic. But I keep reading people's experiences of units hanging, locking up and then plain just stop working. Haven't read similar for Garmin - hence the bias towards Garmin.

What are people using on here?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Tom Tom has the best user interface IMHO...
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I am using TomTom on my iPAQ at the moment and its great.. I did discover that the Garmin (a friends unit) was better when walking around in foreign cities (the TomTom kept getting confused) but not as good when driving (according to him)..
      The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

I have a garmin quest - pretty old now but works well, and has car/bike/walk modes. Mainly used on my push-bike these days.

Also, if you're ever going to buy a yacht you can load up chart data to a garmin, unlikely with a Tom Tom?

Whatever you get, just make sure it has a full postcode database. Mine doesn't and it's rubbish unless you find the address where you're going on a proper map first.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Have a Tom Tom 510. It's the bomb.

Comment

Get whichever one provides the most regular map updates, especially if they're free.

Once borrowed my brother's and it nearly had me going past no entry signs, so always double check the actual road signs.

Also be wary at level crossings:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6646331.stm

or , you decide. I've gone for .
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

You must have some requirements. Assuming you have, find the Garmin model which meets them and then go and buy it.

FWIW, I have a Garmin Zumo 550 but I specifically bought it for a motorbike. So far, it has seen me right, with a few minor hiccups along the way...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

My car came with a sat-nav as part of the deal. It is pants

Tom-tom would be my preferred option

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  I'm looking around these days for a entry-level sat nav. And I think I've come across a bit of a relegious battle. garmin V tom tom. Garmin boasts better navigation while tom tom is full of features. tom tom's seem to be cheaper as well.

I have decided to go for an entry level Garmin, see how it goes and if I find sat nav usefull - upgrade. The usual blah blah blah.

Unfortunately it seems like Garmin has about 50 different versions and I've no idea which one is the plain jane version. Any tips?

Then again..tom tom has its ONE series which is its entry level and the one I like is ONE XL Traffic. But I keep reading people's experiences of units hanging, locking up and then plain just stop working. Haven't read similar for Garmin - hence the bias towards Garmin.

What are people using on here?
                  I have a Tom Tom One - it's brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Have a Tom Tom 510. It's the bomb.
                    Me too - excellent. Never had a problem with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X