• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XBox 360

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBox 360

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these but am a little un-certain on which model to go for.

TBH, I am not an avid gamer and I probably won't use the console after a few months but I do quite enjoy Halo, Gears of War type games.

So with that in mind, I was contemplating the cheapest variant, the Arcade.

However, upon further research, it seems that it is important to have an external hdd to save game data which then pushes you into choosing either the Professional or the Elite.

However, as a less than part-time gamer, think it doesn't make sense to go above an Arcade model.

What do the XBoxers on here think?

I did consider buying one from eBay but as I understand it, if I buy new, they should be the new batch which address the RROD issue.

Also, I don't have a HD display at home, so this is not so important - but am I right in saying only the Professional and Elite support HD, but not upto full 1080p scaling?
    Last edited by Clippy; 8 April 2008, 21:24.

You don't need an HDD to save games, you can save them on a memory card that you connect to the machine, just like the good old days. The HDD would be needed if you download lots of content from Xbox Live like game add-ons etc.

Yes I would buy a new console rather than one from ebay due to the RROD.

IIRC, all Xbox models support HD, but only the Elite one has HDMI connections

HOWEVER. If you like to play first person shooters like Halo etc, just get a decent graphics card for your PC and buy Bioshock, Hellgate & OrangeBox. Much better than playing on a console
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these but am a little un-certain on which model to go for.

TBH, I am not an avid gamer and I probably won't use the console after a few months but I do quite enjoy Halo, Gears of War type games.

So with that in mind, I was contemplating the cheapest variant, the Arcade.

However, upon further research, it seems that it is important to have an external hdd to save game data which then pushes you into choosing either the Professional or the Elite.

However, as a less than part-time gamer, think it doesn't make sense to go above an Arcade model.

What do the XBoxers on here think?

I did consider buying one from eBay but as I understand it, if I buy new, they should be the new batch which address the RROD issue.

Also, I don't have a HD display at home, so this is not so important - but am I right in saying only the Professional and Elite support HD, but not upto full 1080p scaling?
      I've got the professional, and use it for PGA Tour, Medal of Honour and Gears of war.

I run it via component video rather than HDMI into my Sony Bravia and it's brilliant! Much better than getting a high-spec gaming PC in my opinion.
      If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Buy mine, I'll chuck in a state of the art HD-DVD drive for free
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I've got the Premium (20GB HD and HDMI port). Halo 3 and Bioshock look great on the 40" Sony LCD.

Be aware however, that the racket from the fan & DVD drive is very intrusive. Late night gaming when the rest of the house is asleep means the volume has to creep up more than it should in order to hear it over the fan.

That's the only downside for me.

Comment

As Mr Robin says, they all are HD, and originally only the Elite had HDMI, but the later model Profesionals also have HDMI now. Beofre that they were just component HD connections.

I've got one with a 20 GB HD (one of the original ones that had the RROD problem, but that's sorted now), which was originally hooked up to a non HD TV.

To be honest, it was the XBOX that prompted me to get a HD telly as some of the games didn't display properly on a non HD TV.

I wouldn't class myself as a serious gamer by any stretch, however I'd still get a hard drive as I have started downloading old school games from XBOX Live. I downloaded the updated Speedball 2 the other day - Brilliant!

Comment

Sensible World Of Soccer too, I've played that more than any proper game I've bought, hours of fun!
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I've got an original 20Gb model. IMO you need that to be able to playtest the demos as they come up on X-Box Live. You don't need any more than that though as it's pointless bothering with it as a media centre, it's far too loud.

BTW, I have mine connected to a 20" widescreen LCD monitor as I have mine on my desk.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
                  I've got an original 20Gb model. IMO you need that to be able to playtest the demos as they come up on X-Box Live. You don't need any more than that though as it's pointless bothering with it as a media centre, it's far too loud.

BTW, I have mine connected to a 20" widescreen LCD monitor as I have mine on my desk.
                  I'm thinking of doing a similar setup myself now.

Any tips on what I need to look for in a suitable LCD display?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    I'm thinking of doing a similar setup myself now.

Any tips on what I need to look for in a suitable LCD display?
                    Fast refresh rate - the faster the better.

I've got one of these - http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...html?HYD-N19WS
                    Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 10 April 2008, 06:40.
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X