• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freeware NIC monitor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeware NIC monitor

Does anyone know of a freeware LAN scanner that will report the make model and speed of all the client PC NICs?

TIA
    The vegetarian option.

You probably need something like NMAP or Nessus
    Last edited by Addanc; 8 April 2008, 12:25.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Addanc, I tried both but unfortunately they don't give me what I need (I've also tried Newt and Spiceworks).
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Its quite tricky to determine the speed of a NIC remotely. It shouldn't be when you think about it but certainly in a Windows environment it is.

The information can be gleamed from the Registry of a Windows machine but it aint straight forward because each NIC manufacturer writes it to the registry in a slightly different way.

If all of your machines are identical then it is easier, you just have to determine the key in the registry and then use a remote registry tool to interrorgate each machine in turn.

If only microsoft would write this info in one consistant place.

Comment

This sort of information should be available through SNMP assuming the NICs support it. There is probably a standard MIB for the NICs documented in one of the RFC.

Comment

And if they're connected to a managed switch, such as Cisco Catalyst series, then you can grab the speed/duplex/MAC info from the switch (via SNMP for instance).

Comment

Working...
            X