• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iSCSI or Fibre

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iSCSI or Fibre

iSCSI or Fibre - what do people out there use for their SAN / Storage / Backup solutions ??
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Does depend on the solution.

Small scale iSCSI is fine. Medium to enterprise always Fibre.

Oops, forgot to add: NetApp or HP StorageWorks. Backup whatever the client has, if nothing then HP Dataprotector is the puppy.
    Last edited by miffy; 6 April 2008, 21:28.
    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Try this....

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...re-channel.htm

Comment

I cross my fingers and pray..Today one of the neighbour tenents came into the office with his external USB hard drive. Apparently it wasn't working on his machine. I plugged into mine and Windows reported a power surge..his drive is dead. Three years of backup gone! (I just hope my USB port isn't damaged)

I backup what I can to DVD. Dunno what I'm gonna use when I get my 500GB NAS box up and running. A cheap tape drive?
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

What an odd co-incidence! At one of the clients I set a machine to essentially do a grep across a monster multiterabyte collection of logs for the last week and a bit, and the fibre router burnt out, which they replaced yesterday. Poor thing just couldn't take it capt'n. Apparently when the tech. opened the cabinet he was surprised by how warm it was in there.

So as well as speed, you might want to look at sustained throughput, and what cooling needs are required.

And you want full duplex.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I'm a massive fan of iSCSI due to its cost benefits , but there are several things many people forget.

1. ISCSI is really aimed at Client to NAS/SAN connections, not NAS to NAS. If you are linking NAS / SAN devices together, use fibre most are designed with Fibre in mind. Clients should ideally use iSCSI though, if they are within 24 meters of the NAS / Switch as it saves you an absolute ton on HBA cards and also doesn't carry the risk that adding another piece of hardware to the equation does.
            2. Use gigabit or don't bother
            3. Make sure you use CAT6 cables for Gig and that they are less than 24 meters (25 meters and above is a no no for Gig iSCSI)
            4. If you can, use multimode trunking for machines with massive disk activity (busy SQL servers etc).

Comment

Working...
            X