• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outlook - forwarding messages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outlook - forwarding messages

Just got myself a Blackberry with T Mobile.

Managed to set up my personal BT email account on the Blackberry which is great.

However I can't set up my work email because I'm told that their BES is set up with O2, not T-Mobile.

I can access work emails on the Blackberry via internet webmail but this is fiddly but ok for emergencies etc.

I've tried to set up a rule in Outlook (work email) so that all incoming mail gets forwarded to my BT personal email which is then pushed to the Blackberry. But the rule doesn't seem to work. It appears as though there is a block forwading to external email accounts. I called our IBM helpdesk and they gleefully told me that they couldn't offer me support because they don't suppport sending emails to external email accounts (fair enough I suppose but no need to be so smug about it!).

Can anyone offer advice on how to get around this or an alternative way to push my work emails through to the Blackberry?

Based on this, no one at client co can forward a single email to an external email address. For example, a supplier?

Sounds like IBM BS to me.

Have you tried to manually forward an email to your personal email address?
    Does it get delivered?

If so, sounds like there may be something amiss with the rule you setup.

What version of Outlook is it?

Comment

Exactly as set up here. You Cannot set up a rule to forward emails externally. Doesn't stop you manually sending emails externally, just the setting up of the rule. Stops idiots forwarding all work related emails from secure internal systems onto dodgy yahoo, aol etc accounts. Standard practice in decent organisations.

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
        Exactly as set up here. You Cannot set up a rule to forward emails externally. Doesn't stop you manually sending emails externally, just the setting up of the rule. Stops idiots forwarding all work related emails from secure internal systems onto dodgy yahoo, aol etc accounts. Standard practice in decent organisations.
        Ah, learn something new every day.

So, does this mean they would have locked down the Outlook client somehow?

Otherwise, how would the Exchange server know if the email was being forwarded manually or by a rule.

Comment

Ditto here. Outlook rule forwarding to external emails is blocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Otherwise, how would the Exchange server know if the email was being forwarded manually or by a rule.

Out of office rules are executed by the Exchange Server by default when one is available. Otherwise the client PC has to be left running, logged in to Outlook for the rules to get executed.

Comment

Yes we can manually forward emails but cannot seem to set up a rule to do the same thing.

Using webmail is ok as an alternative but it means I have to carry the SecureID token with me and it's a bit of a pain.... but better than nothing at all!

Seems as though this issue with the ruelset being set up to send to external addresses is common. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
                Out of office rules are executed by the Exchange Server by default when one is available. Otherwise the client PC has to be left running, logged in to Outlook for the rules to get executed.
                It doesn't matter if the client PC is left running or not... the ruleset still won't work to an external address even when I have Outlook running.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
                  Originally posted by oxtailsoup View Post
                  It doesn't matter if the client PC is left running or not... the ruleset still won't work to an external address even when I have Outlook running.
                  Yes I know, I was answering Clippy's question

Comment

The BES comment is rubbish, as the server connects to RIM's network.

The carrier is irrelevant, otherwise you would not be able to roam

Comment

Working...
                    X