• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making a PC safe for dodgy websites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by interested View Post
    I doubt whether he'd notice if I replaced his laptop with a badger, to be honest
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      F*** him - if he can't run a computer without uninstalling the AV, he deserves to lose data.

Can't argue with that.

Edit: I nominate that for post of the day!
      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Here you go

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTech-My-Fir.../dp/B000296LZ2
        That boy go raaaaaaa
        Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post

Comment

I doubt whether he'd notice if I replaced his laptop with a badger, to be honest
            Watch it!
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Use Recoverpc

Oh wait. Why didn't you ask earlier? or later, or something? www.recoverpc.com. Blat. Simple. Nothing can hurt your friend's PC.

Clean it up for him one more time, then install this. You never have to see his skinny vegan face again.
              Last edited by beercohol; 8 April 2008, 10:29.
              When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

A friend of mine is a complete IT illiterate and continues to use his PC for surfing all sorts of dubious websites. His most recent episode had me cursing him, Windows, virus writers and just about anyone within earshot. He'd managed to uninstall the anti-virus software I'd installed, click on a dubious pop-up 'advertising' some other anti-virus software, hand over his credit card details and download and install this other stuff which turned out to be a nasty virus of some sort. Can't remember the name of it but it took a while to get rid of and frankly was a waste of my time.

I installed AVG and Windows Defender, plus AdAware and showed him how to use them. Got a call from him last night and AVG is picking something up called "psyme" which it doesn't seem to be able to get rid of, so I've got to go and sort it for him tonight.

My question to the esteemed members of this forum is this: What can I do to ensure that no matter what websites he goes to, no matter what he downloads (or tries to) - that his machine won't keep picking up this crap?

I've got rid of IE, I make him use Firefox and I tell him not to go on dodgy websites but he continues to do so. Apart from getting a Mac or not actually using a computer at all - is there anything else I can do?
                Create a bootable XP CD with a RAM disk for the swap file and add IE. Remove IE and other browsers from the HD. He can then surf all day and catch virus but when he shuts down all disappears from the ram disk.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                X