• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap server

Want to build a VM Ware server at home, on dedicated hardware. Any suggestions on best/cheapest way to do this. Don't mind building my own, but not all that experienced with vmware to know what I should be looking for ni tersm of specs - probably use it to run 4-5 servers (Some call managers, citrix etc), or just as happy if someone can recommend a decent cheap site to get off (And don't say dell).

Cheers.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

http://www.rackservers.com/

I have been told about the guys above before as being fairly good, never used them myself though.

Comment

They seem kinda expensive for what they are - don't really mind about it being rack server, which is where I guess the extra price comes from?

Cheers though.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I know you didn't say Dell but they are cheap and they do come with a warranty.

Depends what kind of power you want. I would probably just use a high spec desktop.

I recently built a dual Xeon (dual core - 5100 series 1.86Ghz) server, 3ware raid cards, 2tb disk space. Complete overkill but the parts were sourced for sub £600 by the guy I built it for.

Not bad really.

Comment

Sorry I see server and instantly assume rack mounted

Rack mounted are normally at a premium, you can prolly get something in a normal box much cheaper.

Comment

I've been running 5 VM's within VMWare Server on a Dell server for the last 2 years.
            No problems at all.

No idea why you have an aversion to Dell kit - it's served me perfectly well.

Comment

I've no problem with Dell beyond the price - I bought a new pc last year - used as a games machine. Was going to buy from dell but though I'd look into building my own and was a bit shocked to discover I could build myself a slightly better system than dells top end for about 40% less than dell were charging.

Had an aversion ever since to them ...

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                I've no problem with Dell beyond the price - I bought a new pc last year - used as a games machine. Was going to buy from dell but though I'd look into building my own and was a bit shocked to discover I could build myself a slightly better system than dells top end for about 40% less than dell were charging.
                Yes, if you don't mind the hassle of building yourself and the lack of a warranty, you can DIY for less. But for their lower end stuff (£179 servers) there's no point just to save a few quid.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Yes, if you don't mind the hassle of building yourself and the lack of a warranty, you can DIY for less. But for their lower end stuff (£179 servers) there's no point just to save a few quid.
                  You can build your own system in a few hours with a reasonable level of competency. And you get warranty on parts - we're all IT pro's here, I trust myself more than some random bloke on a help desk at dell or one of their engineers. For the non IT obviously it's a different story.

The £179 server is extremely basic, I looked at it and to get to even a low end spec you're up in the £500's.

Comment

Fleabay can bag you some bargains. I bought a Dell Poweredge 700 for the very same reason, 2x 36GB SCSI RAID1, 1GB RAM, 2.8ghz processor, DAT72 drive. It was 3 years old and I got it for £101.14!

Need to put some extra RAM and disks in it, but the server has 2 SATA ports so I'll bang in a couple of spare 250GB disks I've got lying about!
                    Last edited by Pacman; 5 March 2008, 16:39.

Comment

Working...
                    X