• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bog Standard Graphics Cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bog Standard Graphics Cards

Ive been looking at new motherboards but was thinking of getting a chipset that doesn't have integrated graphics i.e Intel P35.
    Is it possible to get a PCI express graphics card thats the equivilent of the Intel gma3100 integrated graphics.
    i.e. I want a bog standard graphics card.
    No fans or massive heatsinks and still runs cool.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=338560

GeForce 8 series is miles ahead of anything else atm, dunno how fast the budget ones are but I'm guessing it will be more than good enough for what you have in mind. (Note it has no fans and is the silent edition)

HTH

Comment

I'm not sure they sell dedicated graphics cards that tulipe!

That 8500 in Ardesco's post is pretty good, altho be aware that the heatsink is pretty humungous and you should make sure there is enough room in your case first!

This 7200 is a bit smaller and a bit cheaper but will still be able to run vista etc and has a DVI interface
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119720

Passive cooling. Cheap.

Comment

So everyone agrees that Nvidia Geforce is better than ATI Radeon at the moment?
          What do I need for HD playback? Do I need an 8 series or can I go for 6200 or 7200?

Comment

Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
            So everyone agrees that Nvidia Geforce is better than ATI Radeon at the moment?
            What do I need for HD playback? Do I need an 8 series or can I go for 6200 or 7200?
            I would stick with the 8 series if you want to output to HD (and preferably a card with a HDMI / HDTVout output ofcourse, like that 8500). The other cards might work OK, but drivers aren't updated as often and may have performance issues especially if you want full 1080 HD.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

8 Series is the way to go. I upgraded my 7600GT to an 8800GTS a while back and my frame rate more than doubled. I can actually play games in 1900*1200 now. They have done something amazing with the 8 series IMHO it blows everything else out of the water.

Comment

8800GTS!!! You'll start making me go to Lanparties and water cool my case next.
                I might wait until the G45 chipset comes out and stay integrated.

Comment

Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
                  8800GTS!!! You'll start making me go to Lanparties and water cool my case next.
                  I might wait until the G45 chipset comes out and stay integrated.
                  I'm not suggesting you buy a 8800GTS, just suggesting that you get something in the 8series range. The one I initially posted is cheap and cheerful and should do the job.

Comment

Working...
                  X