• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RAID 5, new setup, how long?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAID 5, new setup, how long?

4 lots of 1TB hard drives in a RAID 5 arrangement on a hardware RAID controller. How long should it take to initialise this arrangement? There was a calculator on the net, but the link I had no longer works.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    4 lots of 1TB hard drives in a RAID 5 arrangement on a hardware RAID controller. How long should it take to initialise this arrangement? There was a calculator on the net, but the link I had no longer works.
    Well I have only 6 lots of 73gb drives on a RAID5 and it takes about 25 minutes on a bad day. It shouldn't really matter as you can still install your software, turn the server on and off and the process continues in the background. I did a system with 14 300gb drives which would have taken hours out of the time I had. This is why you have RAID 5. I'll have a look for this calculator as I've used it a number of times and have it somewhere.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
    X