• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Update

This seems to have been changed so that instead of nagging you to reboot it now nags you to reboot, counts down a timer and then reboots anyway

This is not great for the VM's I was running, Visual Studio etc.

Anybody come across a way to stop this. I really need to close down my machine in a controlled manner.

Not tried it, but:

Start / Run / gpedit.msc / Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update / Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations

HTH
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      This seems to have been changed so that instead of nagging you to reboot it now nags you to reboot, counts down a timer and then reboots anyway

This is not great for the VM's I was running, Visual Studio etc.

Anybody come across a way to stop this. I really need to close down my machine in a controlled manner.
      I have my Windows update set to inform me when new updates are available, but not to download or install them automatically..
      The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

That's never happened to me. Mine are set to download but prompt to install. Of course, if you are behind a decent firewall and have AV installed do you really need to install any updates? My other half now only bothers with updates if something goes wrong and his XP build is remarkably stable for not having been forcibly updated every couple of weeks!

LM in "not directly answering anyone's questions mode" today

Comment

Instructions for Vista

Received this on a Vista Newsletter email I get:

How to prevent Windows Update from automatically rebooting your computer

Some of the updates downloaded by Windows Update require a reboot to finish installing, and Vista will pop up a dialog box telling you this and giving you the option to postpone the reboot for a specified amount of time. After several reminders, though, Windows gets impatient and announces that it's going to reboot in 5 minutes and forces a restart. If you're running Vista Ultimate or Business edition, there's a registry edit you can use to prevent that forced reboot (you'll still get the prompts):

Open your registry editor.

Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ WindowsUpdate \ AU

In the right pane, right click in an empty area and select New, then DWORD value.

Name the new value NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers.

Double click the value and in the value data field, type 1.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Hmmmm... registry hacks. Don't you love that MS "Do this and you may be f00ked, and don't expect any help from us" warning on Technet when looking at registry changes? There's nothing like good support, and that's nothing like etc etc.

Comment

Working...
            X