• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Visual Studio

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Studio

Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy from ?

I have a 3 month trial of Visual Studio 2008 Pro
    from www.vsj.co.uk magazine - came as a cover disc.

I then ordered a copy from bestpricedbrands.co.uk
    2 weeks ago only to get an email this week cancelling the order
    not that I'm surprised it was £158 for the professional version.

They are advertising it still - but at £160 .... strange !

Amazon are doing it for £700 in the UK and $700 in the US
    but won't ship to the UK from the US.

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy from ?

I have a 3 month trial of Visual Studio 2008 Pro
    from www.vsj.co.uk magazine - came as a cover disc.

I then ordered a copy from bestpricedbrands.co.uk
    2 weeks ago only to get an email this week cancelling the order
    not that I'm surprised it was £158 for the professional version.

They are advertising it still - but at £160 .... strange !

Amazon are doing it for £700 in the UK and $700 in the US
    but won't ship to the UK from the US.
    It's probably worth getting a flight over to the US and having Amazon send it to your hotel.

Comment

Worth looking in at a CEX shop if there's one nearby. They often get up-to-date stuff second hand remarkably quickly.

Comment

Do you need Pro? I've been happily developing with 2005 standard for a while. Not sure what's missing, but nothing I've needed so far.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Are there many features in Pro that aren't in the express edition? That's free!

Good tip about CEX... might have to pay a visit to my local one at some point to have a butchers.
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            What's a "CEX" shop?
            Computer Exchange
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
              Are there many features in Pro that aren't in the express edition? That's free!
              VC++ express doesn't have ATL and MFC, which I needed:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...h9(VS.80).aspx

Can't find any clear info on what's different in the C# version. And anyone wanting VB has no business posting in technical.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

BestPricedBrands is based in the states....

Do a google search on them and see the reviews, guarantee you won't touch them with a barge pole again, If you got your money back you've done well.

Comment

The Microsoft Action Pack may be worth investigating, which includes VS2008 (not sure which version), amongst other software.

Last time I got one, about 5 years ago, it was only a couple of hundred quid.

Then moved onto Microsoft's empower programme for two years to get the full MSDN library for £300 IIRC. Still plodding away with the Microsoft dev tools based solution you need to register with them to qualify. I reckon another 5 years should do it.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    The Microsoft Action Pack may be worth investigating, which includes VS2008 (not sure which version), amongst other software.

Last time I got one, about 5 years ago, it was only a couple of hundred quid.

Then moved onto Microsoft's empower programme for two years to get the full MSDN library for £300 IIRC. Still plodding away with the Microsoft dev tools based solution you need to register with them to qualify. I reckon another 5 years should do it.
                    https://partner.microsoft.com/40016455
                    £199 + vat
                    excellent - thank.

Comment

Working...
                    X