• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firewall recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewall recommendations?

I've been through a few of them.

I was generally happy with Comodo but the bugs in 2.x eventually forced me to try ZoneAlarm.

I liked the interface but this caused regular 'freezes' of the entire system (for 30 - 60 seconds at a time) so I replaced it with Comodo 3.x. I experienced this on 3 separate PC's by the way so it was definitely ZA.

I couldn't Comodo 3 to work with remote desktop (despite trying ALL suggestions in the support forums) so I gave up and yesterday loaded the latest Outpost onto one of my PC's and it worked first time. This is currently on 30 day trial and I may buy the 3 PC license at the end.

Are there any other recommendations?

AVG Internet Security worked well for me while the free trial lasted. I couldn’t see how to extend the free trial without parting with cash on a regular basis though, so I’m back to basic Zone Alarm now.

Comment

If this is for your home pc, why bother? You can set your router to block nasties...
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        If this is for your home pc, why bother? You can set your router to block nasties...
        That's what I rely on mainly, since there aren't many / any free ones I could find that run on 64-bit XP Pro.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

TBH I just use my router and the windows firewall, the windows firewall is actually quite a good little program if you configure it properly.

Comment

Because that doesn't block outgoing trojans and phone-home apps?

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Comment

As above, only works one way (incoming).

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
              TBH I just use my router and the windows firewall, the windows firewall is actually quite a good little program if you configure it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
                Won't a virus checker catch the trojans?

Phone home only applies if you have a modem connected to a phone line, doesn't it??
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
                  The Vista one does and I'm using Vista on all of my machines now. I also have Kaspersky AVP to catch virus' and trojans. It also blocks connections it thinks are suspicious.

You should be regularly scanning your system for dodgy stuff anyway, and also scanning all files you put on it to stop the virus'/trojans before they get as far as your machine anyway.

Comment

By phone home I mean apps that contact 'home' without your explicit knowledge or agreement (with or without malicious intent).

True AV does detect most trojans but not all. Also my kids use the PC so I'd like as much protection as possible.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Won't a virus checker catch the trojans?

Phone home only applies if you have a modem connected to a phone line, doesn't it??

Comment

Working...
                    X