• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EeePC software.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EeePC software.

As a break from the 'anyone got one of these?' thread...

I'd like to upgrade my eeepc's OS to something a bit more open than the current Xandros interface. Heard of Xubuntu and the EeeOS, but there seem to be issues with certain drivers at the mo.

Anyone currently modifying the standard build on one of these and can suggest a lean alternative?

I belive Debian are doing an eeepc port. Will be similar to unbuntu as ubuntu is based on Debian, only probably more stable with not as many of the latest bells and whistles.

Don't know the site off the top of my head, probably linked from alioth.debian.org or www.debian.org.

Debian rocks, one of the most useful commands is "apt-get moo", give it a go

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
      "apt-get moo"

Nice - yes, highly useful.

Comment

Aha!

I wait and watch with interest. If anyone else knows of another distribution I'd be grateful for the info, thanks.

Ardesco - so Debian's a goodun is it?

Comment

Debian is one of the most stable and reliable Linux distro's (Of course everybody has thier own ideas so I may get a few people disagreeing with me).

Quite a few of the new funky distro's e.g Knoppix,Ubuntu, Xandros,etc are based on Debian. You don't get all the latest bells and whistles with Debian, but that is because they are focussed on stability and security.

The distro for servers IMHO, and also quite good on a workstation.

Comment

That may be the one I'm after then - stability/reliability is what I want - would that be KDE? I suppose the standard apps would be sufficient for my purposes.

(Which are browsing, file mngt, media, basic graphics, PIM, nothing more demanding than that really)

Comment

You can have KDE or Gnome on Debian. The power is in your hands

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                You can have KDE or Gnome on Debian. The power is in your hands
                How would you compare the two for a lightweight system such as this?

Cheers for the info btw.

Comment

To be honest I only use Debian for servers and they don't have a GUI installed. I tried using Debian as a desktop a few years back but it was taking me an extra 5 mins to make sure all the documents I wrote would work in MS Office (open office is great, but documents you create in it don't always look the same in MS office, or at least they didn't when was using it) so I went back to Windows and MS Office just to save time (5 mins a doc soon starts to add up).

At the time I was using KDE and very happy with it so I would go for KDE if I built a linux workstation now, never really used GNOME. Had a very quick go with it but I preferred KDE.

Generally speaking it is a matter of preference, functionally they aren't that dissimilar. At the end of the dau a GUI is fairly similar to most other GUI's

Comment

Working...
                  X