• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adding an extension to my wireless LAN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding an extension to my wireless LAN

I got the kids a Nintendo DS each for Christmas and they would like to use the web browser over wif-fi at home. Problem is that the browser only supports WEP and my home LAN is, of course, WPA. Apparently this is a limitation of the DS hardware rather than the browser.

Anyway, is there a way to set up another wireless LAN, configured to use use WEP and 'bridging' this across either directly to my external internet connection or on to my main (wired) LAN or to my WPA wireless LAN?

I have plenty of kit lying around including wireless routers, USB WiFi dongles and even a 'gaming' wireless bridge (converts Ethernet to wireless). I also have a 'server' PC in the loft which is on 24/7 if I need to use ICS.

Any ideas?

Just buy one of these

http://www.game.co.uk/DS/Hardware/Ac...USB-Connector/
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

If you connect a WEP wireless LAN direct to your WPA wireless LAN you've effectively created a weak link and may as well reduce the security of the whole thing to WEP.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriody View Post
        I got the kids a Nintendo DS each for Christmas and they would like to use the web browser over wif-fi at home. Problem is that the browser only supports WEP and my home LAN is, of course, WPA. Apparently this is a limitation of the DS hardware rather than the browser.

Anyway, is there a way to set up another wireless LAN, configured to use use WEP and 'bridging' this across either directly to my external internet connection or on to my main (wired) LAN or to my WPA wireless LAN?

I have plenty of kit lying around including wireless routers, USB WiFi dongles and even a 'gaming' wireless bridge (converts Ethernet to wireless). I also have a 'server' PC in the loft which is on 24/7 if I need to use ICS.

Any ideas?
        I got around this by using the Nintendo WiFi USB adaptor - plugged it straight into PC USB and it allowed access to t'internet even though the router is WPA

... only problem is it's now discontinued

Like you I was wondering if I could use a spare repeater configured for WEP but associated with the WPA router.. never got around to trying it though
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          If you connect a WEP wireless LAN direct to your WPA wireless LAN you've effectively created a weak link and may as well reduce the security of the whole thing to WEP.
          bugger

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            that's the one!!...thought they had discontinued them! (Nintendo site is saying so!)

Comment

Right, I've checked out the Wiki entry on this and it sounds fraught with potential issues. Two showstoppers for me are:

1. Doesn't work with some firewalls including Zonealarm (which I use).
              2. Causes an IP address conflict if you are using 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x (which I am).

Shame, as apart from the issues it sounds like it would be ideal.
              Last edited by gadgetman; 3 January 2008, 15:32.

Comment

What do you have as an internet connection?

What you don't want is anything on the WEP network to be able to access anything on the WPA/wired network otherwise as I say you may as well reduce the whole thing to WEP. Maybe using ICS will give you enough control to do that, I don't know.

Do the Nintendo thingies have ethernet? I've got rid of wireless and got a couple of powerline ethernet connectors: faster, more secure, more reliable and altogether less hassle than WiFi.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Do the Nintendo thingies have ethernet? I've got rid of wireless and got a couple of powerline ethernet connectors: faster, more secure, more reliable and altogether less hassle than WiFi.

Would seem a bit pointless for a DS which is a handheld console that you wander about with. Somthing like a WII I can see the point of a fixed cable, but not a DS.

Comment

Exactly :-)

I've updated my earlier post (above) by the way. The Wiki does mention the possible use of ICS but it sounds tricky.

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                    Would seem a bit pointless for a DS which is a handheld console that you wander about with. Somthing like a WII I can see the point of a fixed cable, but not a DS.

Comment

Working...
                    X