• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Routers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Routers

At home I have 3 Pc's which I need to connect to the net, 2 are via ethernet and one is wireless. The router sits in a room in one corner of the house, upstairs.

Downstairs I have a PS3 which I want to connect up. It sees the signal but drops the connection regularly. It is in the opposite corner of the house to the router.

What can I get to either boost the signal from my router or is there another router out there with a better wireless coverage than my trusty old net gear router (dg834g v2)?

The PS3 is next to the main BT socket and an extension runs from that up to where the router is. I don't particularly want my main PC to go wireless though.

So what kit do you lot think I should get. Trailing ethernet through the house is not an option.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Get a wireless access point, should do the trick:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wirele...ess_points.php

Site it somewhere in between the router upstairs and the PS3.

Comment

Have you thought about using a couple of Homeplugs? I use them for my Xbox 360 and the signal's never dropped in a year of use.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Cheers for that. I hadn't thought of the plugs option.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

They're dead easy to set up too. I plugged one in next to my Xbox, plugged in the ethernet cable, did the same next to my router and it just worked. And if you ever buy something else that you want to connect to your network, you just buy another one.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

If you are using plugs, then make sure that your wiring is pretty good - older wiring can have problems with the signal too.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X