• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XP under VMWare hard drives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP under VMWare hard drives

I installed VMWare server last week and created a new 200GB virtual drive. BUT – when I try to install XP on it, it’s only recognizing it as 131GB. The space taken from the actual disk drive is right (200GB) but my Windows installation only sees it as 131GB, which gives me problems when I want to install Oracle R12 as it needs 161GB.

Any ideas? I haven’t tried a Linux installation yet, as I haven’t got 11i on Linux and ideally want them on Windows, as I know that better than Linux.

I’m not sure if there are any limitations on VM ware, or whether it’s my Windows install CD or what – it takes ages to create the disk, which is another annoyance, particularly when it doesn’t give me the right size drive!

Anyone got any ideas?

Ta

FAQ
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I installed VMWare server last week and created a new 200GB virtual drive. BUT – when I try to install XP on it, it’s only recognizing it as 131GB. The space taken from the actual disk drive is right (200GB) but my Windows installation only sees it as 131GB, which gives me problems when I want to install Oracle R12 as it needs 161GB.

Any ideas? I haven’t tried a Linux installation yet, as I haven’t got 11i on Linux and ideally want them on Windows, as I know that better than Linux.

I’m not sure if there are any limitations on VM ware, or whether it’s my Windows install CD or what – it takes ages to create the disk, which is another annoyance, particularly when it doesn’t give me the right size drive!

Anyone got any ideas?

Ta

FAQ

I presume you are using an XP CD that does not have SP2 streamlined on it. The original version has limitations so you need to have an XP SP2 boot CD.

HTH
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Found out that XP has / had a limitation of no bigger than 131GB boot partition. Will have a go at the weekend with a small boot partition and then add a second hard drive after that.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Found out that XP has / had a limitation of no bigger than 131GB boot partition. Will have a go at the weekend with a small boot partition and then add a second hard drive after that.
        It does have that limitation, but that limitation is removed if you use an XP SP 2 CD. I found this out when replacing the HDD on my Mac and I wanted to dual boot XP.
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
          It does have that limitation, but that limitation is removed if you use an XP SP 2 CD. I found this out when replacing the HDD on my Mac and I wanted to dual boot XP.
          Ah - cheers. Need to use the newer CD then...
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
          X