• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone else have this irritating problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else have this irritating problem?

<deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 16:14.
    Bwana

Is it yahoo by any chance??? Because I get the same...... logging out of yahoo mail takes you to same page as logging out of yahoo chat / instant messaging etc..... so prob gonna be blocked by ya proxy server.

Comment

You use your clients Internet connection?!??! Ewwwwwwwww

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
        You use your clients Internet connection?!??! Ewwwwwwwww
        Yeh mate use your clients connection thats what its there for
        sorry Diver I'm off the cigs again

Comment

Originally posted by fridge View Post
          Yeh mate use your clients connection thats what its there for
          No way; monitored, proxied Internet connections belonging to my client aren't for me!

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
            No way; monitored, proxied Internet connections belonging to my client aren't for me!
            It can be worse than that. One public sector client site I was on has 'single sign-on' s/w installed. It's great because it detects virtually all logon screens and remembers what you enter. Handy because you're allowed to use their PCs at lunchtime & after work for personal use - you can whizz straight into a forum or auction and out again quickly.

When I had been there a few months, I logged a support call to get one of these fixed (an in-house app got installed badly which broke the logon process). Desktop support bod remotely connects to my PC (with no acknowledgement or confirmation needed from me), double-clicks on the icon in the systray for the single sign-on s/w, enters the admin password then goes to my logon entries.

Displayed is a nice table:
            TimeSheet_app BISSUE01loginid XXXXX
            ProjMan_app BISSUE01 XXXXX
            and so on.

Support bod clicks on [plain text button] and the passwords change to plain text. So what? The list also included:

- my GoogleMail account name and password;
            - my Yahoo! account name and password;
            - my personal bank account login including the answers to all 5 security questions, account number and sort code;
            - my business current account number and password;
            - my business deposit account number and password;
            - my web site control panel login details;
            - about a dozen others.

And apparently all this stuff is mirrored onto a central server that the support team has access to.

I raised this with their IT security manager, but it was made very clear contractors shouldn't rock the boat.

There are 6000 people using that organisation's PCs.

Moral: think VERY hard about what you type in to a computer that you don't have absolute control over.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              Moral: think VERY hard about what you type in to a computer that you don't have absolute control over.
              Thats why I use this for transferring any sensitive data.

Comment

Badly designed SSO, oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  It can be worse than that. One public sector client site I was on has 'single sign-on' s/w installed. It's great because it detects virtually all logon screens and remembers what you enter. Handy because you're allowed to use their PCs at lunchtime & after work for personal use - you can whizz straight into a forum or auction and out again quickly.

When I had been there a few months, I logged a support call to get one of these fixed (an in-house app got installed badly which broke the logon process). Desktop support bod remotely connects to my PC (with no acknowledgement or confirmation needed from me), double-clicks on the icon in the systray for the single sign-on s/w, enters the admin password then goes to my logon entries.

Displayed is a nice table:
                  TimeSheet_app BISSUE01loginid XXXXX
                  ProjMan_app BISSUE01 XXXXX
                  and so on.

Support bod clicks on [plain text button] and the passwords change to plain text. So what? The list also included:

- my GoogleMail account name and password;
                  - my Yahoo! account name and password;
                  - my personal bank account login including the answers to all 5 security questions, account number and sort code;
                  - my business current account number and password;
                  - my business deposit account number and password;
                  - my web site control panel login details;
                  - about a dozen others.

And apparently all this stuff is mirrored onto a central server that the support team has access to.

I raised this with their IT security manager, but it was made very clear contractors shouldn't rock the boat.

There are 6000 people using that organisation's PCs.

All your passwords are belong to us

You should see how users sweat when you casually mention to them that you can read their email from your computer.

K

Comment

Working...
                  X